Yale Awaits Undefeated GU

At 2-0 (1-0 Patriot League), the Hoyas may be off to their best start in over 10 years, but don’t expect this group to get complacent.

Head Coach Kevin Kelly is certainly excited about the Hoyas’ thrilling 28-24 victory over Patriot League powerhouse Lafayette last weekend, but he has his team focused on Saturday’s contest against the Yale Bulldogs.

“We’ve got a tough opponent coming up this weekend, and that [Lafayette] game is over,” Kelly said. “We’ve got game three, and that’s all we’re worried about right now.”

Despite the team’s blinder-like attitude, focusing on one week at a time, Kelly is understandably excited about the Blue and Gray’s surprising start to the season.

“We’re thrilled that we are 2-0. It is a great start, and I’m happy for our players because they work extremely hard and deserve to win the games,” he said. “They’ve done a great job, and we’ve got great team chemistry, got some momentum now.”

That momentum came from an exciting finish last Saturday, where the Hoyas erased a 14-point deficit, coming back after being down 21-7 and sealing their victory with a late interception from junior defensive back Jayah Kaisamba.

“We still believed and trusted in each other,” Kelly said. “That [trust] has been a big buzz word for us in the preseason. I told the guys that we were not out of the game, and quite honestly, we played a poor first half. If we come out and play well in the second half, we can win the game.”

After just two games, the Hoyas are averaging 24 points per game, led by last week’s Patriot League offensive player of the week, junior quarterback Scott Darby.

Thus far, new offensive coordinator David Patenaude’s system is working after scoring 28 points against a Lafayette team that held Georgetown to just three points in an embarrassing loss on the Hilltop last season.

“It’s a brand-new system, brand-new attitude,” Kelly reflected. “We started from ground zero. The players now believe in Coach Patenaude’s system. It’s an excellent system. It fits our personnel very well.”

As for Yale, Coach Kelly has great respect for their program, especially after suffering a 31-10 loss at MultiSport Facility last year.

“We watched last year’s film, but we don’t really dwell on it,” he said. “The one thing is that the last time we played up there, they beat us pretty good, and we’re embarrassed. We didn’t have a good showing.”

Kelly is referring to the 2008 contest, when his team was defeated 47-7 in New Haven. Last year was a little better, because although the final score looks dismal, the Hoyas weren’t down by more than a touchdown until the fourth quarter, when they simply could not get the ball in the end zone. In fact, their only scores in last year’s loss came off a field goal and an interception for a touchdown by now-senior linebacker Paul Sant’Ambrogio.

Georgetown’s clean slate means they don’t have to reflect on their previous contests with Yale. The team also ends their string of road games this weekend before returning home next weekend for Homecoming. Thus far, they have ruined home openers for both Davidson and Lafayette. The Yale game will mark the third straight week where they face a team playing their first game.

“This is Yale’s first game – the third blind game as I call them,” Kelly noted. “The Ivy League – Yale is always near the top. We expect a heck of a contest.”

Despite Kelly’s “blind game” terminology, the Hoyas will not be able to sneak up on Yale like they did to Lafayette. Coach Kelly is well aware of this fact, but he and his players are certainly hungry for more.

“We got their attention, that’s a definite. Lafayette probably didn’t expect the outcome of the game with us, but I think with Yale, we have their attention.”

Kickoff is set for noon on Saturday at Yale Field in New Haven, Connecticut. “