Women’s Soccer | Hoyas Grab 1st Big East Win vs St. John’s

Georgetown has remained undefeated largely due to its scoring differential. The Hoyas have scored 22 goals, while limiting their opponents to 4 goals.
Caroline Pappas/The Hoya

Last weekend, the Georgetown women’s soccer team blanked St. John’s 3-0, recording its second consecutive shutout.

The No. 10 Hoyas (8-0-2, 1-0-0 BE) defeated the Red Storm (4-6-0, 0-1-0 BE) at Belson Stadium to continue their undefeated season.

Despite earning three corner kicks within the first 12 minutes of the game, Georgetown failed to score off the free kicks and was outshot five shots to three in the first half.

The Blue and Gray gained momentum following a goal by senior forward Caitlin Farrell in the 38th minute, assisted by graduate student forward Kyra Carusa. Soon after, junior midfielder Carson Nizialek scored a penalty kick in the 44th minute, giving the Hoyas a 2-0 lead at the end of the half.

Head Coach Dave Nolan recognized the team’s slow start in the first half and spoke about the importance of both Farrell’s and Nizialek’s capitalizing on offensive opportunities.

“This was a gritty road win against a tough St. John’s team with some special attacking players,”  said Nolan in an interview with GUHoyas. “They put us under pressure as early as we expected, and thankfully Caitlin scored a great goal to give us the lead and it helped settle us. The key goal was the penalty kick just before the break, which was well deserved.”

The offense gained control in the second half, recording 13 shots to the Red Storm’s four. While the Blue and Gray failed to capitalize on any of its five corner kicks during the second half, Farrell contributed her second goal of the game in the 79th minute to secure the Hoyas’ first Big East win.

Coach Nolan was impressed with the team’s offense in the second half.

“In the second half, we were very good and could have scored a few more. It was a great team effort, but our front four were very good,” said Nolan.

Farrell, who now has seven goals on the season, has become a key offensive player for the Blue and Gray.

Last week, she was selected as the Big East Offensive Player of the Week for her performance in the team’s victories against No. 25 Princeton (6-2-0) and Columbia (4-4-1), in which she recorded two goals and one assist.

On Monday, Farrell was further recognized for her contributions in the victory over St. John’s by being named to the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

Georgetown’s defense also played a role in the team’s victory, as the Hoyas limited the Red Storm to one corner kick and nine shots throughout the entire game, six of which were on goal.

Forwards Christina Bellero and Zsani Kajan and midfielder Maia Cabrera accounted for eight of St. John’s nine shots, but were ultimately shut down by the Hoyas’ defensive line and senior goalkeeper Arielle Schechtman.

Schechtman had six saves on the day compared to St John’s Meredith Reinhardt’s three. Schechtman has since been named the Big East Goalkeeper of the Week for her performance against the Red Storm.

Georgetown will travel to South Orange, N.J., on Sunday to face Big East rival Seton Hall. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.