Women’s Soccer | Georgetown Wins 4th Straight

On Sunday the Georgetown women’s soccer team traveled to Fairfax, Va. and erased a 1-0 halftime deficit to defeat George Mason by a score of 2-1.

The Hoyas’ four game win streak is their longest since October of last season
Aisha Malhas/The Hoya

Going into the half down 1-0, Coach Dave Nolan discussed the team’s difficulties falling behind and playing in the rainy conditions

“This game was always going to be a test for the team today, plenty of distractions including a late change of venue and also a heavy rain for the entire game,” Coach Nolan said in an interview with GUHoyas. “When we gave up a goal on their only effort in the first half, it certainly had the feel of a banana skin game.”

Georgetown (5-0-2) was on the front foot in the first 45 minutes and recorded 12 total shots. While George Mason (4-3-0) had four fewer shots in the half, they opened the scoring with a 39th minute goal off of a header from a free kick.

At the break, Nolan told his squad to stick with their approach.

“We spoke at the half about continuing to do what we do well and we would be fine. Thankfully, we got two goals and it’s the second time this year we have come from behind, a good sign,” Nolan said.

The Hoyas responded shortly after the break, led by graduate student Kyra Carusa and senior Caitlin Farrell.

Carusa forced a save from George Mason’s goalkeeper Morgan Symmers, but Symmers was unable to corral the rebound. Farrell followed up the shot to even the score at the 58-minute mark.

Carusa created multiple chances in the match, registering six shots and forcing four saves from George Mason’s goalkeeper. Carusa broke through in the 72nd minute, scoring the game-winning goal and propelling the Hoyas to their fourth straight victory.

Georgetown outshot George Mason 23-8. The Hoyas’ defense held strong in the second half and did not allow a shot on target. George Mason also committed 12 fouls to Georgetown’s six and had two players booked for yellow cards, while Georgetown’s yellow card was booked to the team.

Coach Nolan is looking forward to continue Georgetown’s winning run.

“Credit to George Mason for graciously hosting us on the day and their team has been on a good run of late so we were happy to get out of there with a win,” Nolan said. “Now we have to try to prepare for two tough opponents next week at Princeton on Thursday and at home against Columbia next Sunday to finish out our non-conference schedule.”

The Hoyas will try to remain undefeated as they travel down to Princeton on Thursday night, before hosting Columbia on Sunday at 1p.m.