WOMEN’S SOCCER | Georgetown Records Sixth Shutout Win

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

Another game, another victory for the Georgetown women’s soccer team. The No. 9 Hoyas (10-0-2, 2-0-1 Big East) took care of business Thursday night in Indianapolis, dispatching Big East newcomer Butler (7-4-2, 0-3 Big East) by a final score of 3-0.

The shutout vaulted Georgetown past Seton Hall into 2ndplace in the Big East standings where they trail only Marquette (10-3, 3-0 Big East) (a tie atop the Big East standings with Marquette (9-3-1, 2-0-1 Big East). TheHoyas’ match against the Golden Eagles, which takes place a week from Sunday, is shaping up to be perhaps the most anticipated Big East conference game of the season.

Future battles, however, were far from the Hoyas’ mind when they took the pitch against Butler for a battle of the Bulldogs. Head Coach Dave Nolan was displeased with his squad after their 7-1 defeat of Xavier last Sunday and Thursday night offered an opportunity for improvement.

The Blue and Gray got on the board early using what has been their most deadly weapon of late – the corner kick. In their past three matches, Georgetown has scored 10 goals; six of them have come from corners hit by junior midfielder Daphne Corboz and a number of Hoyas have been able to finish them off.

Against Butler, it was sophomore forward Sarah Adams who found herself on the end of one of Corboz’ corners in the 17th minute and slid the ball past Bulldog goalkeeper Mackenzie Hopkins into the back of the net.

The 1-0 scoreline held until the opening minutes of the second half when sophomore midfielder Marina Paul threaded a ball through the Bulldog defense, giving senior forward Kaitlin Brenn a breakaway. Brenn, Georgetown’s leading goal scorer, did not squander the chance and gave theHoyas a 2-0 lead.

A blunder by the Butler defense in the 73rd minute led to the third goal of the night for Georgetown. Trailing by two goals more than halfway through the second half, the Bulldogs threw nine players into the box for a corner kick. The Hoya defense managed to clear the ball all the way to the lone Butler defender remaining at midfield, who promptly turned it over to senior defender Colleen Dinn.

Dinn raced unobstructed past the defender creating a 40-yard breakaway for herself. Hopkins rushed off of her goal line, but Dinn remained composed and slid the ball into the back of the net for her first goal of the year.

Butler would generate a few chances in the second half, but redshirt sophomore goalie Emma Newins rose to the task for the Hoyas, making three saves and recording her sixth shutout of the year.

The shutout was a satisfying outcome for an experienced Georgetown backline that prides itself on such performances. The group had somewhat struggled of late, allowing goals in its previous three matches.

For Butler, the loss meant that the team will have to wait until Sunday against St. John’s for another shot at its first ever Big East conference win. The Bulldogs had a relatively successful out of conference campaign that included a win over No. 21 Michigan but have dropped their first three Big East games by a combined score of 8-1.

The win assured a successful start to Georgetown’s three game road trips – their longest of the season. The Hoyas travel to Rhode Island to face Providence (4-5-3, 1-2 Big East) on Sunday and then have a week off before a rematch of last year’s Big East Final against Marquette.