Women’s Lacrosse | Hoyas Drop Three Straight Over Spring Break

Though it has somewhat recovered from a 17-5 opening day loss to Delaware (6-3), the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team dropped three more games over spring break to fall to 1-5 this season.

Georgetown put in its most solid performance against Towson (2-3) on March 7, falling 13-10, before losing to No. 4 Duke (9-0) last Wednesday and No. 14 University of Pennsylvania (6-1) last Saturday, 12-4 and 15-8, respectively.

Head Coach Ricky Fried chalked the losses up to a lack of discipline and concentration.

“I’m generally a pretty optimistic person, and I’m going to maintain that,” Fried said. “But at the end of the day, we have to execute on game day. We can’t just put on a Georgetown jersey and expect to win. There’s nobody that’s going to feel bad for us; there’s probably a lot of people that are pretty happy we’re not doing very well. But we can either focus on our situation, or we can focus on how to change our situation.”

Focus has been a concern for Fried ever since the loss in the snow at Delaware, when the team seemed unprepared to play. Against Towson, Georgetown played well from the opening whistle, but the following weekend, the team allowed Penn to score the first five goals of the contest.

“The biggest thing that needs to be improved is our concentration level,” Fried said. “If it were a skill thing, if it were an athletics thing, that the other team is just better than us at those things, then I’m not okay with it, but I could deal with it a little bit better. We’ve shown that we can play really well in moments, and we’ve done things that you can’t do by mistake, but then we have lapses of focus, and that’s the biggest area that leads to our inconsistency right now.”

Three of Georgetown’s next four games are against ranked opponents, including a game under the lights on April 1 against No. 1 Maryland.

The team knows that if it can start by getting the little things right, the season could turn around quickly.

“Obviously it’s hard when you’ve lost that many games in a row,” junior attack Corinne Etchison said. “But [Tuesday] specifically we did a good job; we’ve got to come back with more energy, and I think it’s hard when you’re losing to bring that energy. But we’ve brought the energy, and we’re starting to focus game-by-game. … We just have to move on and keep getting better each day, and we took a step today. Taking little steps and doing the little things right will get us wins.”

Etchison believes Georgetown performed nearly up to its potential at times in the Towson game and that it cleared well and shot decently against Penn, but she admitted that all losses are disappointing.

“If we can capitalize on the mistakes other teams are making and do the little things we haven’t done very well better, that will slowly get us better and better each game,” Etchison said.

Fried reiterated that no loss will be considered a moral victory and that the team’s discipline and consistency need to improve.

“Nobody has surprised us by what they’ve done, as far as our opponents go,” Fried said. “It’s just a matter of execution on our end. So our job as coaches is to figure out a way to motivate people, to get them to buy into what we’re doing, as well as for the upperclassmen to get everyone on the same page.”

The coaching staff has made some changes to the offensive strategy to improve spacing for the next game, and the team, especially the seniors, seems relatively optimistic about the remainder of season.

Georgetown’s next game will be at No. 19 Johns Hopkins  Saturday at 2 p.m.; the game will be streamed on ESPN3.