WOMEN’S LACROSSE | GU Falters in Overtime Thriller

CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA Sophomore midfielder Hannah Franklin scored two goals in Georgetown’s 7-6 double-overtime loss to Notre Dame.
CHRIS BIEN/THE HOYA
Sophomore midfielder Hannah Franklin scored two goals in Georgetown’s 7-6 double-overtime loss to Notre Dame.

Just like the men’s squad the week before, the No. 12 Georgetown women’s lacrosse team (8-6, 4-3 Big East) faced a No. 6-ranked Notre Dame squad (12-2, 5-2 Big East) at home on Saturday with Big East championship implications on the line. The women would similarly take the lead on the Irish only to squander it in the second half. They eventually lost the double-overtime heartbreaker, 7-6.

“I’m just really disappointed in the loss,” Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried said. “I thought that our defense played really well — probably the best we’ve played all year — and it’s unfortunate to have the opportunities we had and not come away with [a win].”

Dominant defense was apparent in the first half, as the Blue and Gray went scoreless until junior midfielder Sophia Thomas’s connected for a goal at the 11:34 mark. But thanks in large part to a huge performance from sophomore goalkeeper Barb Black, the Hoyas were able to keep the score close for the entire game.

Senior defender and captain Kelly Barnes singled out Black, who had 12 saves on the game, for praise after the loss.

“I thought our goalie played absolutely [incredibly],” Barnes said. “I think [after] letting in 22 [against] Syracuse just a week ago, the defense really kind of picked it up this game.”

Georgetown’s offensive attack could not capitalize, though. The offense showed a bit more life in the second half, but the Hoyas still found themselves down 6-5 with 3:44 left in the game.

With the game on the line, junior attack Rosie Corcoran picked a great time to score her first goal of the season, knotting it up at six with 2:54 left in regulation. Both teams had a chance to win it in the last few minutes, but each faltered on its final possession, sending the game into overtime.

After a scoreless first overtime, Notre Dame ended the game in devastating fashion, notching a golden goal with 40 ticks left in the second overtime period.

“It’s really disappointing, especially being a Big East game [and] our backs being up against the wall a little bit,” Barnes said.

The game was the lowest scoring of the season for the Blue and Gray, who had not previously posted fewer than nine goals in any game during their 2012 campaign. That nine-goal effort came in theHoyas’ upset over then-No. 2 North Carolina, but all of those goals came in regulation.

“It looks like we got a little bit tight shooting [today],” Fried said. “All of the periods ended with good shots or good times to shoot, [but] we just didn’t finish or take advantage of those opportunities.”

Nevertheless, not all is lost for Georgetown, who faces Rutgers (9-6, 4-3 Big East) next Saturday with a chance to move into sole possession of fourth place in the Big East. An out-of-conference matchup with No. 5 Maryland (15-3, 3-2 ACC) also looms on Wednesday, but it is clear that Georgetown’s focus remains on the Scarlet Knights.

“We can still reach all of our goals this season, we can absolutely still make the NCAAs [and] we can absolutely still win [the Big East], so that’s what we’re focusing on right now,” Barnes said. “We know what we’re capable of doing. It’s just [about] doing it against Rutgers.”

Fried echoed Barnes’ message, but the Georgetown coach’s postgame frustration was evident, as theHoyas continue to fall short of the glimpses of brilliance they have flashed throughout the season.

“We need to make sure that we’re playing on both ends of the field. That’s what we need to do,” Fried said. “We’re capable, we have the ability to do it, but we need to make sure we play with a lot more confidence than we did today on the offensive end.”

The Hoyas will travel to College Park, Md., to take on the Terrapins at 7 p.m. Wednesday.