WOMEN’S LACROSSE | GU Dominates Butler in Conference Opener

In their Big East conference opener, the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team traveled to Indianapolis, where they defeated Butler 21-3 on March 30. With this dominant victory, the Hoyas (7-4, 1-0 Big East), now ranked No. 22 in the nation, secured their second straight win, while the struggling Bulldogs (3-8, 0-1) extended their losing streak to three games.

The game also snaps a winless three-game road trip for the team.

The Georgetown offense was humming Saturday afternoon, as 13 players each contributed at least one point for the Hoyas. Leading the way was junior midfielder Liza Liotta, who buried four goals, followed by senior attack Taylor Gebhardt, who put up a hat trick. Other valuable contributors were junior attack Michaela Bruno and senior attack Morgan Ryan, who each added two goals and an assist.

The offensive performance was supported by a solid defense. The Hoyas forced 17 turnovers and succeeded in all 20 of their clear attempts, while senior goalkeeper Haelle Chomo made seven saves.

MARGARET FOUBERG/THE HOYA | The No.22 ranked Hoyas have tallied a combined 41 goals in the last two games, both of which have resulted in wins.

The Hoyas opened the game up with a six-goal onslaught, bookended by scores from Gebhardt. The Bulldogs bit back with a goal of their own just after the midpoint of the first half. However, Georgetown responded with a 7-1 run, making the score 13-2 in favor of the visitors after the first frame.

Of the 13 first-half Georgetown goals, 10 of them were unassisted, demonstrating a high level of confidence and ability throughout the offense.

The second half saw little difference in the contest, as Liotta and Gebhardt led a four-goal run to start the final frame. The Bulldogs responded with its final score of the game, and the half ended just as it started, with another four unanswered goals by the Hoyas.

This victory was welcomed by the team, marking a return to form as Big East play commences. With a balanced offensive attack and a strong defense to back it up, Georgetown seems to be hitting its stride as it enters a critical stretch of contests.

In their next matchup, the Hoyas look to gain another Big East conference win against No. 15 Denver (9-2, 1-0) on Cooper Field. The game will take place Saturday, April 6, at noon.