WOMEN’S GOLF | Hoyas Card Season-Best 301 in NC

Last weekend, the Georgetown women’s golf team made an impressive showing at the Fighting Camel Fall Classic in Blues Creek, N.C., which featured teams from across the nation, including Illinois, North Dakota State, Delaware State and Eastern Kentucky. Despite tough conditions, the Hoyas managed a season-best score of 13-over par 301 and finished third overall out of 12 teams.

Georgetown got off to a slow start at the tournament, which was compounded by rains that postponed play on the first day after 27 holes. Prior to the final round, Georgetown shot 34-over par 322 in the first round and 29-over par 317 in the second. The steady improvement along the tournament only continued as Georgetown finished strong en route to an impressive 13-over par 301 in the third round of the tournament. Overall, the Hoyas finished with a total 76-over par 940.

Campbell, the home team, finished first with a score of 38-over par 902, a 21-stroke lead over second-place finisher Illinois, who scored 59-over par 923, only 17 shots ahead of the Hoyas. Rounding out the top-five at the classic were Wichita State at 81-over par 945 and Old Dominion at 86-over 950.

Highlights of the Hoyas’ weekend included strong performances by junior Katie Skinner, who posted a career-best finish of 18-over par 234 and a tie for 10th place. Meanwhile, senior Joan Dulieu saw an impressive 20-spot rise from 30th to 10th, putting her in a tie with Skinner. Her weekend was capped off by a strong 1-over par 73 final round.

Additionally, sophomore Alice Choi shot a 3-over 75 in the final round on her way to earning a 19th place finish. Senior Eunae Jo tied for 27th place at 25-over par 241 and freshman Isabelle Galantino tied for 36th place at 26-over par 242.

Despite first-round struggles, the Hoyas were nonetheless impressive last weekend at the Fighting Camel Classic. The tournament marks the last event of the fall calendar for the women’s golf team, who will next travel to the College of Charleston in February for the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic.