WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Hoyas Drop 3rd Straight Game Against No. 11 Johns Hopkins

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA

The No. 13 Georgetown women’s lacrosse team (3-4) dropped an 11-10 overtime decision to No. 11 Johns Hopkins (10-0) under the lights of MultiSport Facility on Friday night. Despite receiving points from seven players splitting draw control throughout the match, Georgetown suffered its third straight loss. The Hoyas battled back from an early 4-0 deficit and led 8-6 at halftime, but they could not pull out the win in overtime.

Freshman goalkeeper Maddy Fisher played the entire game in the net for Georgetown and kept the team in the game with six saves, including three in overtime. Despite letting up four early goals, Fisher found her game and maintained control in the cage.

“She did the little things that we knew she would do, and I thought she came up with three big saves,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said. “Unfortunately, we left one sitting on the deck in the overtime period.”

Johns Hopkins won the first draw and immediately seized control, scoring just 17 seconds into the game. A minute later, the Blue Jays did it again and the Hoyas went down 2-0. Two more goals quickly followed and less than two and a half minutes into the game, Georgetown found itself trailing 4-0. John Hopkins sophomore midfielder Dene’ DiMartino contributed three assists and a goal in the early flurry.

“They have a good draw control group, they have good athletes and we were reacting to them instead of just going after the ball,” Fried said.

After the opening minutes, however, Georgetown found its spark when junior defender Adrianne Devine carried the ball out of the defensive zone and all the way down the field to notch her first goal of the season. The Hoyas then picked up their possession game on the draw in their next attempt. The Blue and Gray’s top performers combined for goal number two as junior attack Caroline Tarzian found senior midfielder Kelyn Freedman cutting through the arc. Georgetown then pulled within one when senior attack Reilly Woodman scored from well outside the goal circle to make it 4-3.

After trading a few more goals, the Hoyas went on their longest run of the game, stringing four goals together in the last six minutes of the first half. Senior midfielder Courtney Caputo, Tarzian, senior midfielder Hannah Franklin and freshman attack Colleen Lovett all scored to give the Hoyas an 8-6 lead going into halftime.

Georgetown carried its momentum over from the end of the first half to dominate the beginning of the second. Almost three minutes in, Caputo notched her second goal of the game to give the Hoyas a three-goal lead. However, Georgetown gifted Johns Hopkins with two penalties, allowing the Blue Jays to score two goals and pull back within one.

The Hoyas last goal of the game came with a little over 21 minutes remaining in regulation when Freedman tallied her second of the game off a free-position shot after getting fouled in the arc. From then on, Johns Hopkins’ defensive strategy began taking its toll.

The Blue Jays recognized Freedman as key to the Georgetown offense and guarded her man-to-man for the majority of the game. Anytime the senior crossed into the offensive zone, she was sure to encounter a Johns Hopkins player who would remain by her side. With Freedman rendered largely ineffective, the Hoyas had to find another playmaker but the Johns Hopkins’ defenders were quick to shut down any alternative options.

DiMartino scored an unassisted goal with 21:43 remaining to bring the Blue Jays within one. Georgetown controlled play for the rest of the game and carried a one-goal lead into the final minute. However, with only 41 seconds remaining, DiMartino struck yet again to tie the score at 10 apiece.

Regulation proved insufficient, so the game entered a six-minute overtime period, the Hoyas’ third such game of the season. Fisher made two vital saves for the Hoyas early in the overtime, but was beaten by a fast and high shot from Johns Hopkins’ senior midfielder Sarah Taylor. The Blue Jays were then able to run out the clock on the rest of the overtime.

“I think we got a little bit tight and a little bit tentative and that showed near the end,” Fried said. “We won the stat battle, but at the end of the day, all that really matters is the scoreboard.”

Next up for Georgetown is yet another ranked opponent. No. 16 Loyola Maryland (6-4, 3-0 Patriot League) travels to the Hilltop on Tuesday for a 7 p.m. game.