WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | GU Drops to 9th in Conference After Away Loss

Following back-to-back road losses, the Georgetown women’s basketball team looked to end a two-week losing streak and return to the team’s winning ways. However, this task would not come easily, as Georgetown faced another test on the road against conference rival Villanova.

The Hoyas (11-14, 5-9 Big East) were outmatched from the game’s tipoff, as they were pounded by the Wildcats (16-9, 7-7 Big East) 91-43, surrendering the most points in a game this season in the process.

In their first meeting of the season Jan. 19, the Hoyas managed to hold off the Wildcats at home for a five-point win. Since this meeting, Villanova has rattled off four wins in its last six games, and has only lost to the conference’s top teams, Marquette and DePaul.

From early on in the first quarter, the Hoyas played from behind, as they found themselves down 21-10 after shooting just 23 percent in the opening frame. The Wildcats’ fast start on offense foreshadowed the type of performance they would have for the remaining three quarters.

The struggles continued in the second quarter as Villanova knocked down shots and backed up their 21 first quarter points with 17 in the second.

The Hoyas could not climb out of their offensive slump, falling 19 points behind after going nine minutes without scoring. At the half, Georgetown was in a 38-16 hole.

KIRK ZIESER/THE HOYA| Graduate guard Dorothy Adomako looks up for a shot in the paint against a Villanova defender.

The Hoyas faced an uphill battle as they left the locker room. Villanova opened the half on an 11-1 run to virtually put the game away. Given the shooting performance by the Wildcats, it would have been hard for the Hoyas to mount any sort of comeback. The Wildcats made 17-of-18 from the floor in the third quarter. With just one quarter remaining, the scoreboard read 77-30.

With the game undoubtedly out of reach, Georgetown managed five field goals, while Villanova only hit four in the final frame. The margin from the the third quarter essentially did not change as the game winded down. The Hoyas walked away with a 91-43 loss. For the game, the Blue and Gray shot just 27 percent from the floor, while the Wildcats shot nearly 65 percent.

Despite the loss, there were some silver linings for the Hoyas. Namely, freshman guard Tayanna Jones, who posted a career-best 10 points and was the team’s leading scorer. Junior guard Marvellous Osagie-Erese chipped in seven points of her own in eight minutes off the bench. Per usual, graduate student guard Dorothy Adomako was a major contributor on offense with eight points as well.

The defeat leaves Georgetown in ninth place in the Big East. They have four regular season conference games remaining before the Big East tournament. Winning the conference tournament now looks to be their only hope at a postseason bid.

With sufficient time to regroup following the tough road stint, the Hoyas will return home to face the Pirates on Friday, Feb. 22 for their next matchup. Georgetown will then welcome St. John’s just two days later before heading back on the road to close out the regular season against Butler and Xavier.