With Weeks to Go, Rangila Preparations Underway

Though Rangila is not until mid-November, practices are already underway for one of Georgetown’s largest student-run events.

The annual two-night performance, which showcases traditional South Asian dance along with other styles, is now in its third week of rehearsals. This year, over 600 dancers and 30 choreographers are involved in the show.

While dancers are still in the process of learning basic choreography, co-coordinators Neha Sobti (COL ’13) and Rohan Muralidhar (SFS ’13) have been planning this year’s Rangila since the summer. Major logistics, such as costume selection, have been nailed down with the help of the Georgetown University South Asian Society’s executive board, and the coordinators’ focus has shifted to the choreographers’ job of teaching their routines to hundreds of mostly inexperienced dancers.

“We call them the backbone because it’s their enthusiasm and creativity that really make a great show,” Sobti said about the choreographers, who were all appointed last spring.

In addition to South Asian culture, Rangila incorporates other dance styles, including salsa and contemporary hip-hop. This year the performance will feature a number from hip-hop group Groove Theory. Other dance groups on campus, including GU Irish Dancers and GU Dance Company, will also perform independently during the show.

Although organizing Rangila is extensive, coordinators say the benefits of the event far outweigh the work.

“It’s just a blend of great things,” Sobti said. “It’s [fundraising], getting to meet people, dancing and at the same time [showcasing] South Asian culture that a lot of people wouldn’t be exposed to.”

Rangila, which is now in its 17th year, has always been committed to donating all of its proceeds to charitable causes. In recent years, ticket sale revenues have been given to The Asha Kendra Hope Center, a non-profit career counseling, vocational training and educational resource center located in Jaipur, India. AKHC is exclusively funded by the GUSAS.

Rangila has also been a way for students with diverse interests to meet and work together.

“Rangila is unique because it is the one event that unifies all the kids on campus,” choreographer Sana Imam (COL ’15) said. “Every school, every race comes together for this event.”

Sonia Vora (SFS ’15), another choreographer, agreed with Imam.

“It’s one of the few things that people genuinely do just for fun. I think we have a lot of clubs that are good resume-builders, but Rangila … people just do it because it’s cool,” Vora said.

For Katelyn McNelis (SFS ’15), a Rangila rookie, last year’s performance left a lasting impression that motivated her to get involved.

“When I went last year, everyone radiated happiness,” she said.