Villanova Has Little Trouble As Georgetown’s Postseason Hopes Dim

Wildcats Handle Hoyas at Harbin Field; GU Continues to Flounder in Conference Action

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s soccer team needed a win against Villanova on Thursday to keep its team goal of qualifying for its first-ever Big East tournament in seven years alive. The feat appeared feasible, considering the Hoyas entered the game with a perfect home record, outscoring their opponents 21-1 on Harbin Field. Furthermore, Georgetown was playing host to one of the weaker teams in the Mid-Atlantic division of the Big East in Villanova, predicted to finish ahead of only the Hoyas themselves in the Big East coaches’ preseason poll.

But despite all of that, the Hoyas came away with yet another Mid-Atlantic loss, falling 3-1 to the Wildcats and all but ending their chances of earning a bid to the Big East tournament in November. The loss drops the Hoyas to 6-6-1 overall and 0-3-1 in the Mid-Atlantic Division of the Big East.

While the Hoyas have lived up to their pre-season disrepute, the Wildcats have done just the opposite, amassing an impressive 4-1 record in the division and assuring themselves a bid to the Big East tournament for the sixth time in seven years.

Villanova freshman Quinn Sellers single-handedly beat the Hoyas, scoring all three goals for the Wildcats. Sellers beat Hoya goalkeeper Shereena Chang in the 37th minute to give the Wildcats a 1-0 halftime lead. Georgetown watched as Sellers added two more goals at the 52- and 68-minute marks to assure the Wildcat victory.

Sophomore forward Kelly Haden’s second goal of the season in the 78th minute proved too little too late as the Hoyas saw their post-season hopes fade. Junior midfielder Sarah Breech assisted on the goal, which prevented the Wildcats from recording their sixth shutout of the season.

Villanova outshot Georgetown 18-15 and held a 6-5 advantage in corner kicks.

The Hoyas next play host to Rutgers, another divisional opponent, at 3:30 this Sunday on Harbin Field. The game is the latter half of a Georgetown doubleheader which first pits the men’s soccer team against Big East foe Villanova at 1 p.m. The Hoyas finish up their 1999 Mid-Atlantic campaign next Wednesday, when they play host to West Virginia at 4 p.m.