Victor Page Attacked in D.C.

Former Georgetown basketball star Victor Page was shot and critically wounded on Tuesday in southeast Washington, the Washington Post reported Thursday.

Page was shot three times, including once in his eye, while sitting inside his red Sport Utility Vehicle around 3 p.m at the 2600 block of Birney Place. After Page drove to the 2700 block of artin Luther King Jr. Avenue, bystanders helped flag the D.C. Fire Department. The 28-year-old was transported by helicopter to Washington Hospital Center where he was listed in critical condition. The motive for the shooting is under investigation and no arrests have been made.

Page, who averaged 22.7 points as the Big East’s leading scorer and an all-conference performer in his 1997-98 sophomore season, decided to leave Georgetown to enter the NBA. He was not selected in the draft and instead went to play in the Continental Basketball Association, where he spent three seasons with the Sioux Falls Skyforce.

After being named to the CBA All-Star team in 2000, he was subsequently released by Sioux Falls in 2001. Page played for the Fargo-Moorhead Beez for two games in 2002, before returning to Sioux Falls to close out the season.

After being dismissed from the Skyforce for an inconsistent work ethic, Page had stints with overseas teams and has remained a fixture of local street-ball games.

In 1993, while leading McKinley High School to the D.C. city championships, Page pleaded guilty to one count of cocaine possession and was sentenced to 90 days in jail after police discovered crack cocaine and an unregistered semiautomatic weapon in a car where he was a passenger, according to the Washington Times.