University to Launch $1.5 Billion Fundraising Campaign

Georgetown’s Board of Directors approved Wednesday a $1.5 billion fundraising campaign that will launch on October 28 and last through 2016.

The project has been divided into four goals – ensuring access for students, enhancing student life and community experience, pursuing transformative opportunities and promoting faculty excellence and academic excellence. To fulfill these objectives, the university intends to raise money for scholarships, student programming, interdisciplinary programs and faculty and academic programs and resources respectively.

The campaign will begin publicly the weekend of October 28.

The fundraising initiative is the most expensive in the university’s history, according to University Spokeswoman Rachel Pugh. The measure comes in lieu of a $2 billion campaign developed in 2010 that was supposed to launch in September.

Georgetown has had significant fundraising success in recent years. Money raised for financial aid increased from $12 million to $32.5 million between 2006 and 2008, according to a university press release.

The 35-member Board of Directors is currently chaired by Paul Tagliabue (CAS ’62), former commissioner of the National Football League.