University Selects New SFS-Q Dean

Gerd Nonneman has been appointed dean of the School of Foreign Service in Qatar, effective in September, University President John J. DeGioia announced in an email Wednesday morning.

DeGioia chose Nonneman with the consultation of Provost James O’Donnell and Dean of the SFS Carol Lancaster after an international search led by David Edelstein, associate professor in the SFS, according to the email.

Nonneman is currently the director of the Centre for Gulf Studies at University of Exeter, where he formerly served as a professor and the director of the Institute of Arab & Islamic Studies, beginning in 2007. Nonneman has also worked with Lancaster University and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Sultanate of Oman, where he assisted in curriculum development for its Diplomatic College.

Nonneman will be replacing Meharn Kamrava, who has served as interim dean of SFS-Q since August 2009. Kamrava will continue to be a member of the faculty in Qatar serving as the director of the Center for International and Regional Studies, according to the email.