University Begins Work on Outlet Additions in Lauinger

Starting this week, a long-anticipated electrical upgrade project in Lauinger Library will install additional outlets on every floor.

The project, which began Tuesday, will last until early December. Upgrades are planned to the electrical paneling in the building as outlets are added.

Contractors hired by the university will work on a floor-by-floor basis, starting on the fifth floor and working their way down to the lower levels.

For Samantha Lin (SFS ’14), a major concern is how much her studies will be affected by the construction.

“I think it is important for upgrades to be made, but I worry that they will interfere with the quiet environment Lau provides while we study,” Lin said.

Though the construction, which will involve work-related noise such as drilling, is slated for completion between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m., certain areas of Lauinger may be closed for several days, according to the email sent by University Librarian Artemis Kirk.

The library’s website provides a schedule for the first half of the project, showing that upgrades will take one week per wing of each floor throughout the month of October.

“We always consider the impact to users of the library and regret the potential inconvenience. In light of the growing need for more electrical outlets, [the university] agreed that it was better to start the project as soon as possible,” said Phyllis Barrow, director of finance and operations for Lauinger Library.

According to Barrow, the university acknowledges the potential inconvenience to visitors of the library, but it believes inconvenience is a small price to pay for the overall improvement.

[University Facilities has] long been aware of the need to upgrade the electrical systems to keep up with the technology demands of today,” Barrow said in an emailed statement.

Students hope that more outlet access in the library will help alleviate the high demand during peak study times.

“Competing with a fellow student to claim the last outlet during high-stress study periods can be uncomfortable,” Brady Fowler (COL ’14) said. “I look forward to not having to bring a surge protector during finals week this year.”