TRACK & FIELD | Men’s Team Places 4th and Women’s Team Places 5th in Big East Championships

TRACK & FIELD | Mens Team Places 4th and Womens Team Places 5th in Big East Championships

Four first-place finishes helped the Georgetown men’s track team take fourth place in the Big East Championships, while the women’s team took fifth place with four second-place performances last weekend.

For the men’s team, graduate student and All-American Jonathan Green not only won the 5000-meter race, but also set a new meet record with his time of 13:51.23 and was named the meet’s Men’s Most Outstanding Track Performer.

Director of Track and Field Julie Culley praised Green’s success.

“He has had a great year and it’s no surprise to see him break the conference record in the men’s 5000m. It wasn’t an easy effort, but he ran a smart race and was able to pace himself well throughout,” Culley wrote in an email to the Hoya.

Graduate student and All-American Amos Bartelsmeyer won the 1-mile race with a time of 4:09.10

Culley highlighted the success of senior members of the team in the competition.

“Amos Bartelsmeyer and Jon Green did a fantastic job capping their final indoor championship with wins,” Culley wrote.

Freshman Rey Rivera won the 800m race with a time of 1:49.97. Junior Spencer Brown followed closely behind in second place with a time of 1:50.28.

In the 200m dash, freshman Nate Alleyne won with a time of 21.51.

“We are excited about the success of some of the freshmen and youth on the team who continue to improve and are hungry to win,” Culley wrote. “Both Nate Alleyne and Rey Rivera did a phenomenal job winning their individual events in their first ever track season on the Hilltop.”

The men’s 4x400m relay and 4x800m relay teams both finished in second place. The 4x400m team consisted of sophomore Quincey Wilson, Rivera, freshman Kino Cheltenham and Alleyne. The team finished in 3:13.49.

The 4x800m team was made up of sophomore Joshua Bell, sophomore Jack Salisbury, freshman Ruach Padhal and Brown. They finished in 7:33.02.

On the women’s side, Culley spoke highly of the second-place finishes.

“The women had some really exceptional performances in both [senior] Jody-Ann Knight and [sophomore] Margie Cullen’s runner-up finishes in the 200m and 3000m, respectively,” Culley wrote.

Knight earned second place in the 200m dash with a time of 24.39.

In the 3000m race, Cullen finished second with a time of 9:30.23. Senior Josette Norris followed less than a second behind in 9:30.94 to take third.

The 4×800 team, featuring senior Piper Donaghu, freshman Alexis Del Gizzo, senior Aleta Looker and freshman Olivia Arizin, came in second with a time of 8:57.78.

The distance medley relay team featuring Norris, freshman Shannon Meisberger, Gizzo and Cullen also finished in second place with a time of 11:36.41.

The Hoyas will compete next at the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships in Boston March 3 and 4.

Culley will be looking forward to another week of tough competition for her teams.

“We will be looking to advance through rounds on Saturday and score as high as we can in the finals on Sunday,” Culley wrote. “The ECAC and IC4A’s is another weekend where our team can compete in a championship-style competitive environment. We’ll be looking to take the podium in any or all of the events we compete in.”