TRACK AND FIELD | Distance Medley Relay Earns 4th Place at JDL Fast Track Invitational

Four members of the Georgetown men’s track and field team traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., last Friday to compete in the JDL Fast Track Invitational. The Hoyas finished in fourth place overall in the men’s distance medley relay with a time of 9:36.938.

Fifth-year Joe White started the relay for the Blue and Gray, running the 1200-meter leg in 2:56.257. Sophomore Lawrence Leake then finished the 400m leg with a time of 48.102. Next came sophomore Ruach Padhal, who finished the 800m leg with an impressive time of 1:49.392. Senior Nick Wareham finished off the relay for Georgetown, completing the 1600m leg with a time of 4:03.188.

Padhal recorded the fastest 800m time of the meet, impressing Assistant Track and Field Coach Brandon Bonsey.

I was really proud of Ruach,” Bonsey said. “The goal of a relay is to get the stick to the next person in a good situation and he got the stick to Nick in a good situation. Ruach did a great job and he’s definitely in great shape.”

Bonsey also noted the potential Padhal has for the Hoyas’ next meet, where he will run the 800m leg.

“We are hoping he can get an NCAA qualifying time this weekend, because I know he’s capable of it,” Bonsey said.

Georgetown’s performance in this relay has positively affected their ranking in the NCAA, making them eligible for nationals if their spot stays the same. “We are sitting 10th in the country right now with that time. They take 12 to the NCAA so hopefully, that holds up after this weekend,” Bonsey said.

GUHOYAS| Fifth year Joe White races ahead of the pack at the JDL Fast Track Invitational.

Despite minor improvements that can be done to further advance this relay and slight changes that would be made at the NCAA Championships, Bonsey thinks that this performance was a good indicator of how the Hoyas will perform in their upcoming races.

“I wish we would’ve been a little closer on the 1200 leg, but as long as we get into Nationals I think that [this] team could do really well,” Bonsey said.

Bonsey has plans to shift the relay’s lineup in the future to compensate for White’s other events.

“We would [substitute] Joe White off of that relay and put someone else on at the National meet because he’ll be running [as an] individual then. I just hope that [this was] enough to get us into the NCAA meet cause that was the goal of going down there,” he said.

The teams will now prepare for their next races, which will begin Friday, Feb. 22, and take place in Geneva, Ohio, at the Big East Indoor Track and Field championships.