To Find Campus Parking, Some Choose to Cut Line

Finding a parking spot in Georgetown is rarely easy. The resulting frustration may explain why people on campus sometimes just get too annoyed to follow university parking rules. The wooden gates to the parking lot on Library Walk across from Village A have been broken repeatedly in recent years, and one administrator believes that the culprits are student drivers trying to save some time by busting through the entrance barrier. “It’s been happening for as long as I can remember,” said Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing. Frank estimated that the gates have been broken several dozen times over the past three years. She said students who live on the south side of campus may intentionally drive through the entrance barrier, especially on weekends, so they do not have to walk so far to get home “On the weekends, when we have less enforcement around, people find it difficult to walk,” she said. “It’s not intended to be a public parking area.” Frank added that the gates are most frequently broken on weekends, on move-in dates and during large-scale events on campus. While a snapped wooden gate arm only costs $25-50 to repair, damage to the mechanism that raises and lowers the arm can cost thousands of dollars to fix. Frank said such damamge has occurred rarely in recent years. – Brian Burke