There’s More to This Name Than You Think There Is

As I sat on a bench in the men’s locker room at Yates, I received multiple text messages from Sarah Amos, the senior editor of the guide, asking me for a name for my television-based column. The original name was “Pigeon Drop-Ins.”

Here’s my rationale: My last name, which is “Piccione” for those of you who don’t know how to locate a byline, means “pigeon” in Italian. Caw caw! The second part, “Drop-Ins,” was just a way for me to say, “Hey everyone, don’t mind me while I drop in and let you know my thoughts on a particularshow.” Also, I thought it would be funny to have bathroom humor in a column name. Call it juvenile, but I call it a double entendre and pure brilliance. Nevertheless, Famous Amos didn’t think it would be a great idea to have my written work so closely tied to actual fecal matter. (That realization is for the reader to make after a few weeks.)

Half naked, smelling like garbage and exhausted from running, I brainstormed ideas for my column name in the locker room so the editor wouldn’t hit me anymore. The next idea was “A Dose of Television,” but that was too cheesy. Then came “A Hoya’s View on TV,” but we can all agree that that name is also awful. Unable to come up with a title, I starting thinking about how people watch television; Netflix, DVDs, the Internet, but nothing came to mind. For some reason, I thought of Hawaii and hula hoops before I came to Hulu.

Now that I think about it, is there even a connection between the state of Hawaii and hula hoops? According to Wikipedia, they were popularized in the early 19th century, and then the term “hula” was added due to the experiences of some British soldiers who travelled to the Hawaiian Islands. Dudes were totally racist. I guess my mind thought of “hula hoops” in order to jump to “Hulu.” We all have our problems. The moral of this story is that “Hulu Saxa” was born of a sweaty and smelly man who was doing nothing more than thinking about Hawaii in the men’s locker room after a run on the treadmill. Totally innocent.

But what is Hulu? Hulu is a joint venture founded in 2007 by the four main media conglomerates: NBC Universal, Fox, Viacom and Disney. These four bad boys literally own every single media outlet in the world, but this explains why the shows that are available on this website are from networks owned by these parent companies. Fox, FX, ABC, MTV, VH1 and Nickelodeon are some of the major channels.

Beyond shows that appear on television, there are also some short web series on Hulu that are pretty solid. My current favorite web series is titled “7 Minutes in Heaven with Mike O’Brien.” Now here is where I should add that I might be biased. See, O’Brien is a writer for “Saturday Night Live,” which is where I’m currently interning, but I promise that this is not some devious way of appeasing the writers. In the show, O’Brien interviews celebrities in his closet while asking very awkward questions. The best part is the end, where Mike kisses the person being interviewed, therefore giving the series its name. Okay, I’m tired of writing for today, and you’re probably tired of reading. Get back to reading the rest of The Hoya, enjoy preregistering for classes and I’ll see you guys next semester. This is fun.

Steven Piccione is a junior in the College. He can be reached at [email protected]HULU SAXAappears every other Friday in the guide.