Thefts Increase 44% in November

Crime in November increased 15 percent from October, primarily due to a 44 percent spike in theft.

The Department of Public Safety reported 53 incidents this month, of which 36 were thefts, compared with the 25 thefts and 44 total crimes recorded in October.

The rate of thefts has continuously increased since September. Electronics were a popular target item for thieves. Thirteen incidents reported stolen laptops, despite efforts from DPS this month to raise awareness about laptop theft, sell laptop locks and facilitate the sale of LoJack, a laptop tracking device.

Only one bicycle was stolen, down from six bike thefts in October and 11 in September.

Twenty-nine thefts occurred in public locations such as the Leavey Center. With eight thefts this month, Leavey was the most commonly targeted venue.

There were also six cases of unlawful entry, up from four in October, but there were no reports of burglaries or robberies, which was a decrease from the two and one reported, respectively, last month

Drug violations decreased, with only one in November compared to October’s six violations.

Alcohol violations remained stagnant, with three reported in each of the last three months.

No assaults were reported in November, compared with two in October.