The Hoya Elects Spring Staff, Sets Institutional Priorities

THE HOYA ushered in a new set of leaders on Saturday with the election of its spring semester staff.

Eamon O’Connor (COL ’12) was elected the 137th editor-in-chief of THE HOYA. O’Connor, who hails from West Boylston, Mass., previously served as executive editor for two semesters, opinion editor and copy chief. He will hold his new position for a year.

“THE HOYA remains committed to expanding its reach as Georgetown’s newspaper of record,” O’Connor said.

“Expect a continued dedication to community engagement and coverage of the highest quality, as a fresh team of editors strives to improve across the board. I look forward to continuing the tradition of service laid down by my predecessors.”

Laura Engshuber (COL ’12), of Munich, Germany, was elected executive editor after two terms as city news editor. Former Guide Editor Mairead Reilly (COL ’13), of Boston, Mass., was elected managing editor.

Dawn Hu (SFS ’11), of Scottsdale, Ariz., was elected chair of the board of directors. Hu most recently served as an at-large director and interim business director, following a term as campus news editor. Hu hopes to continue THE HOYA’S push toward independence.

“I am very honored and excited to be leading the board of directors and hope to continue to make strides toward realizing our future potential,” she said. “Every project we undertake this semester will be within the context of laying down the framework for better serving the Georgetown community and eventually reaching our goal to become an independent organization.”