Tennis | Women Earn Decisive Victory Over George Mason

Junior Daphne de Chatellus won her singles match in a 7-6, 6-1 finish in Georgetown’s win over George Mason.  (COURTESY GUHOYAS)
Junior Daphne de Chatellus won her singles match in a 7-6, 6-1 finish in Georgetown’s win over George Mason. (COURTESY GUHOYAS)

After losing a tight match against St. John’s in its Big East opener, the Georgetown women’s tennis team defeated the George Mason Patriots 6-1 on Monday with strong singles play.

Despite the defeat to St. John’s (12-3, 4-0 Big East), Georgetown (9-4, 0-1 Big East) was able to put it behind them to beat George Mason (9-7, 0-3 Atlantic 10).

“They just get stronger and stronger as a team whether we lose or win. They treat every match as an experience, so whether we win or lose, they’re just getting tighter as a group,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said.

The Hoyas started off strong by sweeping all three of the doubles matches to grab the first point of the match. Georgetown continued its dominance in the singles matches by winning five of the six matches.

Senior Victoire Saperstein, junior Sara Swift and sophomore Sydney Goodson all cruised to comfortable straight-set victories at positions one, two and three, respectively. At the No. 5 position, junior Daphne de Chatellus won a close first set in a tiebreaker and won the second set 6-1. Senior Madeline Foley was victorious in a hard-fought match at the No. 6 position. After winning the first set 6-2, Foley dropped the second set 3-6 and then won the tiebreaker 10-6 to take the match.

Coach Ernst has been changing his positions of late in search of the optimal lineup. Over the last three matches, nine different players have competed in the six singles spots. Including doubles, Ernst has sent out 11 different players. Despite the change in lineup, Georgetown has maintained a high level of play.

During the aforementioned three-game stretch, the Hoyas are 2-1 with the sole loss being the close match with St. John’s. Switching the lineup and remaining victorious speaks volumes of the team’s depth. Coach Ernst could not speak highly enough about the group’s teamwork.

“I have close to a perfect team in that regard. We just have kids who would run through a wall for each other,” Ernst said.

In particular, coach Ernst praised Madeline Foley’s team spirit and effort.

“She’s a senior who hasn’t had a chance to play a lot, but it doesn’t matter,” Ernst said. “She still puts in the work like she’s getting ready for a match. She supports her teammates, been a great captain, great teammate, and she went out against George Mason and won a tight match at No. 6.”

The team played Towson (8-5, 1-1 CAA) Thursday, but the results for the women’s match against the Tigers were not available for press time.

After the Towson match, the women will have a slight break before returning to action. The Hoyas look to grab their first conference victory of the season when they host DePaul (8-6, 0-1 Big East) April 8 at 12 p.m.