Tennis Team Struggles Continue

By Sarah Walsh Hoya Staff Writer

Struggling to overcome dismal play all season and to rebound from three losses last weekend, the Georgetown tennis teams will have a difficult time competing in this weekend’s Big East Championships in Miami. The men enter the tournament seeded eighth while the women are seeded seventh.

The men ended regular season play by losing 6-1 to crosstown-rival George Washington Saturday and 7-0 to West Virginia Sunday, bringing their season record to 3-19. The women’s team fared slightly better against two conference rivals, falling to West Virginia but defeating Pittsburgh, bringing its season record to 10-13.

The men finished the weekend with just one individual win. Junior Beau Brewer had a 6-4, 7-5 win at third singles against George Washington’s Kinzie Wright. The Hoyas lost other singles doubles matches that day.

Sunday was no better for Georgetown men where the Hoyas lost every match to the Mountaineers. Senior Justin Berman lost 6-3, 7-6 (7-4) to Mike Detkas at No. 1 singles and teamed up with freshman Nick Sklavounos to drop the first doubles match 9-8 (7-5). Freshman Ken Jordan and junior Dave Boyer fell 8-5 at No. 2 doubles.

The Hoyas will face the eighth-seeded Boston College in the Big East first round.

The women’s team had a match versus George Washington cancelled Thursday due to weather but was also swept by West Virginia over the weekend, losing 5-0 in Morgantown. No doubles matches were played, but the Hoyas lost every singles match.

Sunday’s match against Pittsburgh was moved inside due to rain, and the Hoyas picked up the win. Junior Sarada Ravindra easily won the first singles spot 6-1, 6-2, and joined sophomore Megan Crotty to win 8-2 at No. 1 doubles. Crotty also won the No. 3 singles, 6-2, 6-1.

Senior Erin Kamemoto finished her regular-season college career with two wins. After teaming up with junior Missy endes to take the No. 2 doubles spot 8-3, Kamemoto defeated Pittsburgh’s Erin Shelbrack 6-1, 7-6 (7-5) at No. 2 singles.

The women face tenth-seeded Providence in the first round of the Big East.