TENNIS | Seeded Fifth, Men’s Team Seeking New Heights

Today, the Georgetown men and women’s tennis teams will look to finish off their strong seasons at their respective Big East tournaments.

After recording 10 wins in its final 11 home matches, the men’s team (12-9, 3-0 Big East) managed to grab the fifth seed in the conference tournament, the highest seed that they have had since Head Coach Gordie Ernst took over on the Hilltop seven years ago.

“Look at the way the guys responded after losing a lot at the beginning of the year. Great finish,” Ernst told The Hoya earlier in the week. “I don’t think [the program has] been this high a seed since the late ’80s when we won it all.”

The Hoyas will begin tourney play in South Bend, Ind., against fourth-seeded Marquette, a team that Georgetown last played in the 2011 Big East Championship consolation round. That match ended in a 4-0 loss for the Blue and Gray.

This time around, the men’s side enters the tournament with a perfect record in what was a small stretch of conference play, and the Hoyas’ hot end to the season should provide momentum going into the first round against Marquette.

Today’s winner will face the winner of the match between top-seeded Notre Dame and either No. 8 seed Connecticut or No. 9 St. John’s.

“I’m pumped for the boys to get some wins this weekend,” freshman Kevin Katz said.

The women (14-6, 3-3) also begin their Big East Championship play this week, but they are headed for warmer weather, with the tournament to be held at the University of South Florida. Although the team is still feeling the effects of two tough defeats last weekend, the Blue and Gray understand that the regular season is now a thing of the past.

“What counts is what’s coming up this weekend,” Ernst said.

After its loss to Rutgers, the women’s team dropped to the seventh seed in the tournament, meaning that it will face 10th-seeded Pittsburgh on Friday. Earlier this year, Georgetown defeated Pittsburgh 5-2 on the road.

In last year’s tournament, Georgetown swept Seton Hall 4-0 in the first round, but a 4-3 loss to DePaul ended the team’s season prematurely.

“We will come ready to play,” Ernst said.

The women begin play at 9 a.m. today, while the men will start at noon.

FILE PHOTO: ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA
FILE PHOTO: ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYA