TENNIS | Hoyas Face Big East Foes for 1st Time on Season

The Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams travelled to southern Ohio to battle Xavier in the Hoyas’ first Big East showdown of the season.

Back in action following a two-week hiatus, the Blue and Gray men returned to the nation’s capital with a victory, defeating the Musketeers by a final tally of 4-3.

The Hoyas (2-1, 1-0 Big East) relied on doubles play and the middle of their singles lineup to secure the squad’s second consecutive victory. After dropping the first two singles matches, Georgetown rallied in the final three slots, as freshman Mark Militzer, junior Michael Chen and freshman Connor Lee all came away with victories.

Militzer and Chen prevailed in three-set matches, while Lee defeated his Xavier opponent in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2.

In doubles competition, the Hoyas earned the decisive fourth point in a 2-1 victory, with contributions from the No. 1 and No. 3 slots. At the top position, the combination of senior captain Peter Beatty and senior Mac Rechan triumphed 6-3, while in the third slot, brothers Will and Charlie Sharton won a competitive 7-6 affair.

The men are set to next compete during their spring break trip to southern Florida on March 5 in Boca Raton, Fla., against Florida Atlantic.

The women’s team (0-5, 0-1 Big East) opened Big East play against Xavier on Friday in Cincinnati, Ohio, and battled William and Mary on Sunday in Williamsburg, Va . The Hoyas fell in both matches, losing 5-2 to the Musketeers and 6-1 to the Tribe.

Against Xavier, Georgetown struggled in singles play, as its Xavier counterparts took five out of six possible points. Freshman Sophie Henderson secured the lone singles point in the No. 6 slot with a 7-6, 6-3 victory. Juniors Risa Nakagawa and Sydney Goodson battled in defeat, as both fell in three-set matches.

The Hoyas won their second point of the match in doubles play with a 2-1 defeat of the Musketeers. The upperclassman combination of Nakagawa and Casey Marx won 7-5 in the No. 2 position; senior Drew Spinosa and junior Cecilia Lynham followed that performance with a 7-5 triumph of their own to secure the doubles point.

Two days later, the Hoyas battled the Tribe in Williamsburg, where Georgetown suffered its fifth consecutive defeat, 6-1. Once again, Georgetown earned a point in the No. 6 singles match, where senior Casey Marx prevailed in a tightly contested three-set battle, 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8). Despite a spirited effort from senior Daphne de Chatellus, who lost 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-7) in the No. 5 slot, the Hoyas fell in the top-five  singles competitions.

In doubles competition, the Hoyas were defeated 2-1, as the Tribe collected its sixth point of the match. Marx and Nakagawa provided Georgetown’s lone highlight of doubles play with a 6-0 sweep of their William and Mary opponents.

The women look to earn their first victory of the season March 4 against Nova Southeastern in Fort Lauderdale.