Tennis: GU Shuts Down Uconn, Shut Down by American

GU Shuts Down Uconn, Shut Down by American

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

This past weekend proved to be a step in the right direction for Georgetown tennis. Playing some of their best tennis of the year, the Georgetown women shutout the Connecticut 9-0 Saturday, yet were themselves handed the bagel Sunday, as they fell 7-0 to American. eanwhile, the men saw their losing streak extended to five as they fell to the Connecticut 4-3 in a hard fought match.

The Georgetown women hosted Big East rival Connecticut Saturday at the Montclair Tennis Club in Dumfries, Va. The match opened with the Hoyas sweeping all three doubles matches to stake a 3-0 lead. At the No. 1 spot, senior twin sisters Lucky and Sarada Ravindra were victorious 8-5 over Connecticut’s Trinell Russell and Anne Dewberry.

Hoya freshmen Hadley Muckerman and Kim Wattrick defeated the Huskies’ Christine Vorvis and Kara Kaczynski 8-4 at No. 2 doubles, while at the No. 3 position the tandem of senior captain Missy endes and freshman Sarah White defeated Marie Garcia and Tracey Apone 8-3.

Georgetown enjoyed similar success at singles as they won all six singles points. Sarada Ravindra swept past her opponent, Dewberry, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 2 spot. Likewise, Georgetown senior Lauren Mendes had little difficulty at No. 4 singles as she overwhelmed Connecticut’s Kaczynski 6-1, 6-0.

Hoya senior Ayana Brooks, playing in her first singles match since October, was unfazed as she blew blast the Huskies’ Tracey Apone 6-2, 6-0 at the No. 6 position. Georgetown added victories from Lucky Ravindra, Missy Mendes, and sophomore Caroline Marshall to complete the 9-0 shutout.

Sunday was not as fortuitous for the Hoyas as they returned to the Montclair Tennis Club to face cross-town rival American. Playing the experienced American squad, Georgetown was unable to secure a single victory in their 7-0 loss.

In fact, only one match was even sent to a decisive third set. That came at the No. 2 singles spot where Sarada Ravindra took the first set, yet was unable to hold on as she fell to American’s Regan Campbell 5-7, 6-2, 6-1. Lauren Mendes also turned in a solid performance at No.4 singles but was defeated 6-4, 6-4 by Lourdes Riusech.

The women’s weekend levels their record at 3-3 for the year. The women will be in action again this Sunday as they face Big East foe Syracuse at the Montclair Tennis Club.

The Georgetown men demonstrated significant improvement this past Sunday in spite of their 4-3 loss to Connecticut. Early on in fact, the Hoyas opened up a 2-0 lead as they won the doubles point and the first singles match.

Georgetown won the doubles point with victories from sophomores Nick Sklavounos and Andre Benjamin at the No. 2 spot and from freshmen Troy Crichlow and Marc Lohser at No. 3 doubles. The tandem of Sklavounos and Benjamin soundly defeated Connecticut’s Mike Furman and Luke Grimshaw 8-3. However, Crichlow and Lohser’s match was extended to the tiebreak where they prevailed over Drew Broderick and Adam Sadowski 9-8 (7-0).

At No. 6 singles, Georgetown’s senior captain Beau Brewer gave the Hoyas the 2-0 lead with an impressive 6-2, 7-5 victory over Connecticut’s Joe Lang. However, the Huskies soon erased the Hoyas’ lead as they won the next four singles matches to win the overall competition. With defeat secured, Georgetown’s Lohser nonetheless continued to fight at No. 5 singles. His persistence paid off as he was successful in defeating Connecticut’s Max Zubatsky 3-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-4). Lohser’s victory brought the final score to 4-3 in favor of Connecticut.

The loss to Connecticut drops the men’s record to 2-7 on the year. They will try to end their five-match losing streak this coming Monday against the University of Louisiana-Monroe. The match will be played at the Miami in Coral Gables, Fla.