TENNIS | GU Classic First Test for Men’s Team

The Georgetown men’s and women’s tennis teams are coming home this weekend to host the annual three-day Georgetown Classic at the McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex.

For the women, this tournament offers a chance to build on their momentum from last weekend’s impressive victories at the University of North Carolina-Wilmington Invitational. For the men, the Georgetown Classic is a chance to open the fall season with a bang.

“I’ve got the guys playing [for the first time] this weekend,” men’s and women’s Head Coach Gordie Ernst said. “I’d [just] like to see everyone get a little bit of success right now.”

Last year, the weekend tournament was a point of pride for both teams. The men had a doubles pairing reach the finals — after beating another Georgetown pairing in the quarters — and then-junior Mikey Clarke, who is no longer with the team, made the semifinals of the singles draw.

Of the men, some of the biggest names to watch include junior Charlie Caris and senior alternate captain Andrew Bruhn. Caris, who earned team MVP honors last season, went 11-15 last year while playing first and second singles. Bruhn, the recipient of last season’s coaches award, proved to be an effective doubles player, as he posted an 11-11 record while playing with Clarke — the best doubles record on the men’s team.

As for the women, last year proved to be a major event for then-captain and current assistant coach Stephanie Wetmore. Not only did Wetmore win the singles title, but along with junior Vicky Sekely, she clinched the doubles title as well. Filling the void left by Wetmore might be difficult for the Blue and Gray, but there’s no question that the team still constitutes a serious threat to their opposition.

“[Wetmore] had that kind of a presence on the team and in the league,” Ernst said, “But, I would [still] say that we started off pretty well.”

There is no doubt that Sekely and sophomore Tina Tehrani are the headliners of the women’s squad. Tehrani, who claimed victory in the A flight of the UNCW Invitational, held her own against some of the strongest players from the region, as did Sekely in the B flight. Although UNCW didn’t invite many of the tennis powerhouses, Georgetown’s performance is nothing to scoff at, and certainly something to worry about for the teams coming down to McDonough this weekend.

“You want to see your top players all get a piece [of victory],” Ernst said. “And then you want to see your other players get experience.”

The Georgetown Classic begins Friday afternoon and lasts through Sunday.