Post Tagged with: "fire"

FACEBOOK.COM

Georgetown Graduate Dies in Dupont Circle Fire

Recent Georgetown graduate Nina May Brekelmans (GRD ‘15) died in an electrical fire in her home near Dupont Circle June 3. She was 25. Michael Patrick McLoughlin, 24, also died in the fire, and five others were injured. Although Sherri Kimbel, a representative from the Office of Councilmember Jack Evans[Read More…]

by June 5, 2015 1 comment Campus News, News, News - Top
COURTESY KRISTI KING (WTOP)

2 Students Reportedly Die in Dupont Circle Fire

Update 1:12 p.m (June 5, 2015): One Georgetown student, Nina Brekelmans (GRD ’15), was confirmed to have died in the fire. The other victim was a University of Maryland graduate. See full story here: Georgetown Graduate Dies in Dupont Circle Fire. Two Georgetown students died in a Dupont Circle house fire early[Read More…]

by June 3, 2015 0 comments Campus News, News, News - Top
Kathleen Guan/The Hoya

Good Stuff Eatery Closes Temporarily After Electrical Fire

Good Stuff Eatery, located on the 3200 block of M St., will be closed for several days following an electrical fire that broke out in the restaurant Saturday morning around 8 a.m. According to The Washington Post, the small electrical fire was contained to the kitchen, and no one was[Read More…]

by May 2, 2015 0 comments City News, News, News - Top
ANDREW WALLENDER/THE HOYA
Firefighters arrived on scene at Poulton Hall after a fire broke out at the building. They cordoned off the area around the hall.

‘Urinetown’ Evacuated After Fire at Poulton Hall

An electrical fire in the room next to the Mask and Bauble stage caused an evacuation of Poulton Hall Friday night around 10 p.m. According to Vice President for Planning and Facilities Management Robin Morey, the fire was caused by a small water leak in a sink with an instant hot[Read More…]

Small Fire Forces Southwest Quad Evacuation

Small Fire Forces Southwest Quad Evacuation

A small fire originating in the overhead light in room 604 of Kennedy Hall caused the evacuation of the entire Southwest Quad late Sunday evening. Residents of McCarthy, Kennedy and Reynolds Halls waited on MultiSport Facility for about 30 minutes before the Department of Public Safety gave the “all clear” signal. While[Read More…]

by December 10, 2012 0 comments Campus News

GU Free Speech Policy Condemned

On Sept. 5, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education released its list of the seven best colleges for free speech; Georgetown, which has been consistently criticized by the organization, was not among them. In January, FIRE ranked Georgetown a “red light” institution for the sixth consecutive year, citing the[Read More…]

by September 11, 2012 0 comments Campus News, News
Small Fire in Copley Hall

Small Fire in Copley Hall

A small kitchen fire on the third floor of Copley Hall sparked a minor commotion Monday evening. Seven firetrucks from D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services surrounded the residence hall at around 6:20 p.m. According to a letter from Executive Director of Student Housing Patrick Killilee that was posted on[Read More…]

by May 14, 2012 0 comments Campus News, News
Fire Scare Evacuates Jesuit Residence

Fire Scare Evacuates Jesuit Residence

Jesuits were evacuated from Wolfington Hall around 7:30 a.m. Monday after a mechanical malfunction set off the building’s fire alarm. Five fire trucks arrived at the scene shortly after. Though the D.C. Fire Department quickly determined that there was no fire in the residence, it took until about 8:20 a.m. for them[Read More…]

by December 5, 2011 0 comments Campus News, News
Burst Pipe in Copley Causes Fire Scare

Burst Pipe in Copley Causes Fire Scare

Copley Hall was evacuated Sunday at 12:20 p.m. after large amounts of white steam were seen pouring from the roof and basement of the building. The steam was released by a broken pipe in the building’s boiler room, according to a Department of Public Safety officer. Outside doors of the building[Read More…]

by October 30, 2011 0 comments Campus News, News
Fire Breaks Out in Burleith

Fire Breaks Out in Burleith

A fire broke out Sunday around 3 a.m. at 1930 37th Street. Six fire trucks and at least two ambulances responded to the scene, along with the standard Metropolitan Police Department deployment. MPD taped off the 1900 block at the time, and fire trucks began to leave the residence at 3:40 a.m. Firemen[Read More…]

by October 29, 2011 0 comments Campus News