Student Diagnosed With Mumps

An undergraduate student at Georgetown was recently diagnosed with mumps, Assistant Vice President for Student Health Services James C. Welsh announced to the campus community Tuesday.

According to Welsh, this is currently the only confirmed or suspected case at the university, although mumps has been confirmed or suspected at other universities in Virginia and Maryland. The announcement was meant to alert the community, in hopes of limiting the spread of the disease through preventative measures.

Mumps is a contagious viral disease, which can be transmitted by coughing, sneezing or other direct contact with respiratory fluids. Symptoms include fever and swelling or tenderness of salivary glands near the jaw. According to Welsh, symptoms generally appear 16 to 18 days after exposure but can appear as late as 25 days.

According to the Center for Disease Control, mumps can affect those who have not received a previous mumps infection or vaccine. Furthermore, since the vaccine is not 100 percent effective, vaccinated people can still develop mumps, though it is much less likely.

Welsh encouraged all community members to to stay cautious and to make sure their immunizations are up to date.