Student Cyclist to Pedal for Fitness

This summer, Heather Sweet (SFS ’14) will make her way from San Francisco, Calif., to Washington, D.C., a 4,100-mile cross-country journey that will be the longest bike ride of her life.

The trip is part of the Ocean2Ocean campaign organized by Motion Commotion, a nonprofit organization that promotes health and fitness.

During her 53-day journey, Sweet will stop to speak to youth, including members of the Boys and Girls Clubs of America and the YMCA, about the benefits of exercise.

The riders hope to gain the attention of first lady Michelle Obama’s campaign to raise healthier and more active children when they make their final stop at the White House.

Sweet was inspired by her involvement with the Georgetown Triathlon Team to undertake the endeavor with Sarah Swigart (COL ’08), the Triathlon Team founder and director of Motion Commotion USA.

Sweet said that her immediate interest arose because of the event’s focus on exercise and being outside. However, her desire to participate also stems from personal reasons.

“I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia, and this year particularly was very hard to manage, so it was one of those things that I … see as an obstacle that … this trip will help me overcome,” Sweet said.

A competitive swimmer in high school, Sweet began cycling actively in the spring of 2011. In preparation for the event, she has continued competing with the Triathlon Team and has extended her workout regimen.

“Motion Commotion is really rooted in and associated with the Georgetown Tri Team,” Sweet said. “Riders include many enthusiastic Georgetown athletes from the team.”

Sweet credited her team, friends and family as another source of motivation.

“I am infinitely thankful to everyone who is contributing to the efforts of Motion Commotion,” she said. “Knowing that I have friends, family and the Georgetown community supporting this adventure is really inspirational.”