Spring Concert Out of Tune

1369496954Though spring cherry blossoms are in full bloom around the District, not all annual happenings have made as much of a splash this time of year.

Last Friday, Georgetown Program Board announced its annual Spring Concert will be held in McDonough Arena featuring Kevin Rudolf, Dev and the Cataracs, Jason Smith, Shwayze and Cisco Adler. Students voted on the performance choices back in the fall, but since then the concert and GPB have been largely forgotten. Publicity for the event has been lackluster, if not absent entirely, and worst of all, students aware of the event are more turned off than anything else due to the relatively obscure headliners.

GPB’s mission statement is to provide “a diverse selection of high quality, affordable, non-alcoholic entertainment” for the student body. GPB has been responsible for organizing several student formals, film screenings and various other events. But for the most part, the Spring Concert is considered the highlight of GPB’s annual calendar. Unfortunately, their biggest responsibility seems to be their biggest disappointment this year.

While GPB faces many challenges in organizing events, it seems the effort and outreach is what was lacking from the Spring Concert’s planning process. The constraints of working with booking agents obviously restricts the artist choices pitched to students, but GPB could have upped marketing efforts for the survey it sent to students last fall. In the same vein, GPB should have reached out to student organizations like the Georgetown University Student Association for more financial and logistical backing in their efforts. By capitalizing on the resources of other groups, perhaps GPB could have lured some big names this time around.

The Spring Concert could be so much more, but what should be a source of validation for GPB has become evidence of its organizational shortcomings. With a lack of campus enthusiasm and significant student involvement in the planning process, this year’s Spring Concert is shaping up to be non-alcoholic and affordable, but not high quality.

To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact [email protected]. Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.