Spoon U Celebrates Food Fest

The Georgetown chapter of Spoon University will celebrate the nationwide online food magazine’s launch at the university on Feb. 19 with a Food Fest on Friday.

Spoon University is an online food publication for college students that specializes in providing information about healthy eating habits and dining options to students during the transition from home-cooked meals to college options. Founded in 2012 at Northwestern University, Spoon has since spread to 35 campuses across the country and has a network of over 600 student contributors.

Victoria Goodell (COL ’16) and Anne Gilliland (COL ’16) started Georgetown’s Spoon University chapter.

“The Food Fest is Spoon’s welcome party to campus in celebration of our launch this semester,” Gilliland said.

The festival will take place on Harbin Road from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will showcase various dining options available to students on campus, as well as feature a guest food truck from the surrounding area. The Crepe Love Truck — the Vienna, Va., restaurant Crepe Amour’s food truck — will sell both sweet and savory crepes. Additionally, The Hilltoss, Students of Georgetown Inc.’s new salad line, will provide samples of their salads and Daisy Buchanan drinks, and Georgetown Dining will also offer frozen chocolate-covered bananas. In addition there will be a raffle giveaway of six months’ worth of tea from Honest Tea during the event.

“What’s unique about the Food Fest is that we are bringing The Corp, which is student-run, Georgetown Dining and the Crepe Love Truck, which represents off-campus dining options, and letting students experience all the dining options they have here in Georgetown,” Gilliland said.

Goodell agreed.

“We wanted to do the launch party just to celebrate how much effort we put into the creation and debut of our website, but we also wanted to establish a name for ourselves on campus through this epic celebration,” she said. “And we just wanted to have a party around food because food is our focus.”

Spoon members are looking forward to the event.

“I’m really excited to celebrate Spoon and all the work we’ve put in so far with exposing the Georgetown community to great food,” Spoon editor Abby Stewart (SFS ’16) said.

Goodell discussed the specific decision to bring the Crepe Love Truck to campus, which originally started in the Georgetown area but has since moved to Vienna, Va.

“Crepe Amour opened in Georgetown so we are happy to have a classic Georgetown company food service come back to campus,” she said.

Gilliland distinguished the Georgetown chapter of Spoon’s launch party from those held at other universities.

“Lots of other Spoon University schools held their launch party through fraternities, but we are doing it differently because that doesn’t really match our school culture,” she said.

Spoon hopes that the launch party will be only the beginning of many other Spoon functions.

“We are starting on the smaller side so that we don’t bite off more than we can chew, but in the future we will do bigger events,” Gilliland said.

Georgetown’s Spoon University team plans to make a difference on campus by being a useful resource for students’ dining needs.

“Our goal is to be the main food-related resource on campus. We would like to be the resource to which students go when they want to know anything about food — whether it be on campus with Georgetown Dining or The Corp, cooking in their dorm or apartment kitchen or off campus, in Georgetown or D.C.,” Gilliland said.

Spoon also aims to help students navigate Leo’s.

“We are hoping to serve as a sort of guide to Leo’s, helping to show students ways to be creative in Leo’s as well as sharing with them the improvements that Leo’s is making,” Gilliland said. “We are also all ears and want to know what students think of the changes Leo’s is making and how it can be improved even further.”

GU Spoon has recently written about the new sandwich options available at Vital Vittles and the new plate-scraping system at Leo’s. Spoon University also has national contributors that create content that is relevant to the dining experiences of college students across the country.