Softball | Hoyas Finish 1-2 in Weekend Series

FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA Junior pitcher Delaney Osterday pitched four innings, allowed two runs on four hits and threw a strikeout in the final game of Georgetown’s weekend series against Seton Hall.
FILE PHOTO: JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA
Junior pitcher Delaney Osterday pitched four innings, allowed two runs on four hits and threw a strikeout in the final game of Georgetown’s weekend series against Seton Hall.

Holding onto a sixth-inning rally in game two that lifted Georgetown softball (8-29, 2-9 Big East) to a 6-5 victory over Seton Hall (21-23, 4-7 Big East) Saturday afternoon, the Hoyas could not hang on, dropping the third and final game 6-5 Sunday afternoon.

Georgetown finished the three-game weekend series at 2-1, dropping Friday’s matchup in a 10-inning 4-2 loss.

In Sunday’s series finale, the Pirates came out firing, taking a four-run lead by the bottom of the third inning. An RBI single from senior infielder Grace Appelbe sparked the scoring for the Hoyas in the fourth inning. Seton Hall answered with one, but a run from sophomore outfielder Theresa Kane, an RBI single from freshman utility player Kelly Amen and a two-run single from freshman infielder/outfielder Mallory Belknap tied the game up at five in the bottom of the sixth inning.

What looked like the start of a repeat of Saturday’s sixth-inning comeback run slipped away as the Pirates drove in a sixth and final run at the top of the seventh inning, clinching a 6-5 victory.

Freshman catcher/first baseman Sarah Bennett emphasized the importance of competing with teams from start to finish, regardless of the score or their record.

“Today we just competed,” Bennett said about Sunday’s close loss. “I don’t think we played our best offensively or defensively, but we came back and fought until the end, and [Head] Coach [Pat] Conlan really likes when we do that.”

Bennett added that the Hoyas showed grit and perseverance, despite facing such a steep deficit.

“Overall, the fight is what we’re looking for, and when you come back from a deficit and score [four] runs to tie it up, I think that’s a good fight,” Bennett said.

Reflecting on Saturday’s game two win — one that snapped a five-game skid — junior pitcher Delaney Osterday highlighted her teammates’ ability to perform in the moments that mattered most.
“I think as a team, we made all the right plays when we needed to,” Osterday said. “My teammates really had my back out there and got the outs that they needed to get.”

During the second game on Saturday, it was the Hoyas who started out strong, taking a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning. However, by the top of the sixth inning, the Hoyas’ lead had vanished as the Pirates regained control of the game with a score of 4-2.

With two outs in the bottom of the sixth, the Hoyas fought back, using runs from senior third baseman Taylor Henry, Amen, Belknap and Bennett to ultimately claim a 6-5 victory.

“The win [Saturday] was great,” Bennett said. “Any win helps boost team morale, but it meant a lot yesterday. We really put all of the pieces together, and we just fought until the end. It was a really good game overall.”

Noting the importance of pitching over the course of a game, Osterday said she put forth her best effort with the help of junior catcher Gabby Elvina.

“I executed my pitches as best as I could, and I thought my catcher called a great game. I think all of us working together like that really created a good environment for winning,” Osterday said.

Looking ahead, the Hoyas hope to keep this momentum going forward.

“I think we are on the right track after this weekend,” Osterday said.

With 37 games played in the Hoyas schedule, the team has eight regular season games left before the Big East Championship in Rosemont, Ill., in May.

Georgetown’s next game is Wednesday against George Washington (20-20, 8-6 Atlantic Ten). First pitch is set for 6 p.m. at Guy Mason Field.