Softball | GU Snaps Nova’s Win Streak, Loses Series 1-2

Despite dropping the three-game series 2-1, the Georgetown softball team (9-32, 3-11 Big East) was able to snap Villanova’s (28-14, 11-4 Big East) 17-game win streak in the opener on Saturday with an 11-5 come-from-behind win in Villanova, Pa.

After battling back and forth, the Hoyas were able to hold a one-run lead until the bottom of the fifth inning, when the Wildcats scored four runs, two of which came from a two-run home run from Lauren Hanna, taking a 5-2 lead.

While it seemed like the Blue and Gray was about to take another disappointing loss at the time, the team did not let the three-run deficit faze them.

“The one characteristic of this team that has never wavered is our ability to fight to the last pitch. We had played well all game, and it was just a matter of time before we broke out,” Head Coach Pat Conlan wrote in an email to The Hoya.

Georgetown kicked off its comeback with an RBI single from junior catcher Gabriela Elvina, driving in sophomore outfielder Theresa Kane. Next, came a two-run single from junior first baseman Alessandra Gargicevich Almeida, an RBI single from senior third baseman Taylor Henry and an RBI double from freshman utility player Kelly Amen, extending Georgetown’s lead 8-5.

The Wildcats switched pitchers in an attempt to stop the bleeding, but the Hoyas kept pushing, scoring off of a fielder’s choice, an RBI single from senior pitcher Samantha Giovanniello and a walk.

The Blue and Gray ultimately claimed an 11-5 victory over the No. 2 Big East team, opening the series with one of its most triumphant wins of the season.

“It was a great win. Villanova is an excellent team, and [senior pitcher] Kate Poppe is the best pitcher in our conference right now,” Conlan wrote. “More than anything, it showed what we are capable of when we click on all cylinders.”

After the Hoyas worked to reclaim the lead and finalize the win, Conlan acknowledged the commitment of her team, noting how its record is no true indication of the strength of the team.

“This is a resilient group, and you could tell on their faces they were not going to end this game without a win,” Conlan wrote.

Although the Hoyas fell during the next two games, 2-1 and 4-1, respectively, Conlan applauded their ability to keep the score tight throughout both contests.

“Overall, we played three solid games. I was happy with our performance. The difference in these games was a [few] very timely hits and a few errors. Games 2 and 3 could have gone either way,” Conlan wrote.

After a scoreless opening inning in the second game, the Hoyas took a 1-0 lead in the top of the second, when Gargicevich Almeida drove in junior pinch-runner Delaney Osterday off of an RBI single. The Wildcats answered with two runs, to which the Hoyas were unable to respond.

The third game reflected a similarly tight race, as Villanova led 1-0 until the bottom of the fourth when they added three more runs, taking a 4-0 lead.

The Hoyas concluded the game on a positive note, as senior infielder Grace Appelbe hit her second home run of the season, cutting the Wildcats’ lead to 4-1.

“It was a fun series to be a part of,” Conlan wrote. “Any time you play games where you are on the edge of your seat with every pitch is one that I want to be a part of. [I’m] proud of the team for their never-ending fight.”

The Hoyas are on the road again, as they continue conference play this weekend against Providence. Opening pitch is set for 12 p.m. on Saturday in Providence, RI.