SOFTBALL | Georgetown Loses Doubleheader Against St. John’s

The Georgetown softball team suffered two losses against St. John’s this past weekend in a doubleheader at the Red Storm Softball Field in Queens, N.Y. The team’s Big East record is now 2-3, while their overall record has fallen to 9-24.

The Hoyas lost the first game 12-4 to the Red Storm. The Blue and Gray started off strong, leading 3-0 in the top of the third inning. Junior first baseman Noelle Holiday hit a home run, followed shortly by another home run from senior center fielder Sarah Bennett. Holiday’s home run, her sixth of the season, brought in two runs for Georgetown. Later in the game, sophomore infielder Savannah Jones hit her first home run of the season to help out the Hoyas. Freshman infielder Kiki Besnard also contributed with two hits during game one. Junior Anna Brooks Pacha pitched the first four innings for the Hoyas, letting up the first nine runs. Pacha walked four hitters and struck out three before being relieved by fellow junior pitcher Katie Vannicola.

Georgetown did not fare as well in the bottom of the third inning, with St. John’s scoring three runs. The Red Storm went up 9-3 in the fourth inning with a combination of doubles and home runs before ultimately winning the game 12-4.

GUHoyas | The Hoyas are now 9-24 overall and 2-3 in the Big East following the weekend road trip to St. John’s

As for game two, the Red Storm took the lead early on during the bottom of the second inning, scoring off of a Georgetown error followed by a home run in the third. Sophomore outfielder Deirdre Gallo picked up the score for the Hoyas in the top of the fourth inning after Besnard hit a single to center field. The Hoyas then tied it up 2-2 when Bennett scored, thanks to a single from senior infielder Kelly Amen. However, the scoring stopped there for the Hoyas, with the Red Storm tallying eight more runs before the game ended with a final score of 10-2.

Sophomore London Diller started off the second game for the Blue and Gray, pitching for the first four innings. Diller allowed six runs before freshman Cassie Henning took over for one inning, letting up two additional runs. Junior Casey Kozak allowed two more runs as she finished the game for the Hoyas.

Georgetown was unable to get another chance against St. John’s, for their game on Sunday was cancelled because of inclement weather. The Hoyas will return to the field this upcoming weekend, April 6 and 7, continuing Big East play with three games against DePaul at Nats Youth Academy.

The Hoyas season is shaping up a lot like 2018. They enter April with one more win and one less loss than they had at this point last year. They have also maintained a similar conference record to last year’s 1-4 coming into April. The team will need to generate more offense as they look to improve on last year’s tough season.