Snowed-In Zoo Exhibits Remain Closed

While students spent most of Snowmageddon sledding and building snowmen, the animals at the Smithsonian National Zoological Park experienced the more negative consequences of the record-breaking snowstorm.

The heavy accumulation of snow damaged many cages and exhibits at the zoo and forced many animals to live indoors. Over one month later, some exhibits are still closed.

“We estimate about $500,000 worth of damage at both the zoo and at our Conservation Biology Institute at Front Royal,” Lindsay Renick-Mayer, public affairs specialist of the National Zoo, said. “This included damage to our trees and shrubs, our bird house, the fishing cat yard, Gibbon Ridge [the primate house], our lion and tiger yards and a few exterior exhibits.”

The National Zoo is in the process of repairing the damage so that the exhibits can be restored for visitors to enjoy.

“The animals have been our first priority, and we moved them out of harm’s way when necessary and ensured that they were fed, and received water during the storms,” Renick-Mayer said.

On Wednesday many animals were outside for the visitors to see. Although the ceiling of the bird house has yet to be fixed, birds were out, enjoying the sunlight.

Some of the exterior exhibits at the bird house were still closed. Signs either directed visitors to go inside the bird house to see the birds or suggest that they revisit the zoo soon to see the complete exhibit.

Many visitors were out walking around the zoo, despite a few closed exhibits, and did not find the closures to be particularly disappointing.

“Anytime you come to the zoo, there are exhibits that you hope to see that are closed for one reason or another,” Reb Orrell, a visitor from Maryland, said.

Laverne Bergstrom, a visitor from Wenatchee, said that she did not mind that a few exhibits were still closed, but she preferred to see the birds in the open.

The staff at the National Zoo are still working to have the zoo back to normal as soon as possible.

“We have been working quickly to repair the damage and ensure that visitors are able to get the full zoo experience,” Renick-Mayer said. “As the weather gets nicer, more animals will be out on display for zoo-goers to enjoy.”