Smithsonian May Soon Charge

Smithsonian museum regulars might need to start dipping into their pockets soon if a new budget proposal is passed. President Obama’s deficit reduction commission proposed admissions fees at the Smithsonian museums last week in order to reduce congressional spending. The suggested $7.50 per visitor would decrease congressional spending by $225 million.

The Smithsonian museum system, which includes the National Art Gallery and the American History Museum, has been free to the public since 1846. According to Smithsonian officials, the free entry policy allows people to come visit regardless of their economic situation.

“In a sense, Americans already pay to visit the Smithsonian with their tax dollars, which provide about two-thirds of the Smithsonian’s annual budget. Because there is no admission fee, people are able to see their national treasures, participate in educational programs and visit exhibitions regardless of their ability to pay,” Smithsonian officials said in a news release in response to the suggested budget changes Nov. 12.

According to Sheila Burke, former deputy secretary and chief operating officer of the Smithsonian Institution, the laws by which the National American Indian Museum, the National Portrait Gallery and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden were created forbid admission fees. The Freer Gallery of Art is also required to remain free of charge, as stipulated in Charles Lang Freer’s will.

The National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform based its calculations of savings and suggested fees on the reported 30 million patrons who visit Smithsonian museums annually. However, the Smithsonian Institution argues that it is instead 30 million visits, not individual visitors, that the museums receive each year.

According to Smithsonian officials, the report by the National Commission also failed to consider the potential decrease in visitors that the Smithsonian could face if museum fees were implemented.

“[Admission fees] would not only deprive many families of the benefit they have earned with their tax dollars, but would also have a negative impact on the business income earned in the Smithsonian’s museum shops, restaurants and theaters,” the Smithsonian Institute said.

Suggestions similar to commission proposal have been presented at congressional hearings in the past, but none have received the support of the public or the Smithsonian Board of Regents.

Many members of Congress have also voiced opposition it the past. In 2008, Rep. Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.) announced that he would fight “tooth and nail” against all proposed Smithsonian admission fees.

“I don’t think we want to do that to Americans because what we possess is not only fabulous but hallowed,” he told The Washington Post. “Anyone who wants to charge, you have to walk through me.”