SFS in Qatar Graduates 10th Cohort

SFS QATAR

The School of Foreign Service in Qatar graduated its 10th cohort May 3, in a commencement service featuring main campus faculty and members of the Qatari royal family.

Fifty-one students received a Bachelor of Science in foreign service, the same degree that students at the main Georgetown University campus School of Foreign Service receive.

This year’s commencement follows last year’s graduating class of 62 students. The graduating class consisted of 36 men and 15 women from 22 countries.

The class joins 440 SFS-Q alumni who have graduated since the campus opened in 2005.

Aysha Al-Mudahka, CEO of the business incubator Qatar Business Incubation Center, delivered the commencement address. Al-Mudahka also serves on the board of education nonprofit INJAZ Qatar.

Graduates must work to promote diversity and inclusion in a changing world, Al-Mudahka said.

“Today, when insularity and indifference are flaunted like virtues, I call upon you to keep building bridges, with both compassion and dignity,” Al-Mudahka said. “In the long run, no reprisal retaliation is sweeter than saying this: ‘We never gave up.’”

University President John J. DeGioia travelled to Qatar along with other members of university leadership for the commencement exercises.

This year’s commencement exercises were SFS-Q Dean Ahmad Dallal’s first as SFS-Q dean, following the start of his term Sept. 1, 2017.

The students are graduating at a unique point in history, Dallal said.

“The Class of 2018 is graduating at a remarkable time in history in a rapidly transforming world, but they have the benefit of a Georgetown education that has prepared them to deal with the challenges of today and to contribute and help shape a positive future,” Dallal said.