Seven Hoya Records Broken at Big East

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s swimming and diving team set five new school records on its way to a 10th place finish with 76 points at Big East Championships in Uniondale, N.Y., last weekend. The men’s team placed 11th with 81 points, breaking two school records.

Notre Dame dominated the women’s competition, taking first by almost 400 points. Pittsburgh finished first on the men’s side with 737 points.

Expectations were high, and although the teams’ performance did not match up to that of last season number-wise, notably the 21 broken records, Head Coach Beth Bower was pleased overall with the amount of personal and season best times.

This season’s Big East competition was tougher than ever, according to Bower. The women, who were 7-7 on the season, succeeded in moving up from their 11th-place finish last year. Senior Meghan Welch was the Hoyas’ only top-eight finisher. She placed seventh in the 200-yard breaststroke in 2:21.96, touching out her record of 2:22.0 set at last year’s championships. Welch also finished 16th in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:07.42) and placed 35th in the 200-yard individual medley (3:11.35).

Freshman Lauren Moynihan had a remarkable meet, breaking three Hoya records, two in the same event. Moynihan broke into the top 16 in the 1,650-yard freestyle with a time of 17:27.79 knocking over 18 seconds off of sophomore Amanda Anderson’s time of 17:45.99 set last season. Moynihan’s 1,000-yard split time of 10:33.35 also breaks the 13-year old record of 10:38.85 set by Elkie Geiblers in 1987. In the 500-yard freestyle, Moynihan set her third record of the meet swimming a 5:08.72, almost three seconds faster than Anderson’s record of 5:11.77, also set last season.

“Lauren kept evenly paced, and went at it. She has been a great value to the program,” Bower said.

Anderson also swam well, placing 27th in the 1,650-yard freestyle (17:49.90) and 36th in the 500-yard freestyle (5:15.14).

Other top finishers on the women’s team include sophomores Caragh Moynihan and Sophia Adkison who placed 29th (54.10) and 39th (51.14), respectively, in the 100-yard freestyle. Caragh Moynihan also competed in the 100-yard butterfly where she finished in 24th place (59.62). Right behind her was sophomore Lauren Schmidt who placed 26th (1:00.11).

The fifth new record came in the 200-yard freestyle relay in which Adkison, freshman Liz D’Auria, Schmidt, and Caragh Moynihan combined to set the new record at 1:38.5 placing ninth in the meet. The old record was 1:39.12, set by Adkison, Schmidt, Anne Bihler and Caragh Moynihan last season.

The two sophomore female divers, Rene Pierpont and Allison Linden, showed signs of improvement in only their second season as divers. According to Bower, with another year of experience under their belt, they could make the top 16.

Senior John Willey and sophomore Chris Lengle led the men, who ended their season 3-8. While Lengle placed 16th in the 50-yard freestyle, he broke Chris Hazelton’s 1999 record of 21.21 in a time trial, swimming a 21.19. Lengle also placed 15th in the 200-yard freestyle (1:42.15) and 18th in the 100-yard freestyle (46.57).

“[Lengle] did not get the reward he should have. His times were faster, but he finished in the same spot he did last year,” Bower said.

Willey also made finals, placing 12th in the 200-yard freestyle (1:41.49). Willey also finished 23rd in the 500-yard freestyle (4:40.14) and 25th in the 200-yard freestyle (47.00).

Freshman Bryan Evangelista had solid swims in the butterfly events. He finished 23rd in the 200-yard event (1:59.33) and 25th in the 100-yard event (52.64).

The 800-yard freestyle relay team of sophomore Will Miller, Lengle, Evangelista and Willey combined to place 10th with a time of 6:57.65, shaving a second off the record set last year by iller, Ryan Rafaelli, Lengle and Willey.

“Throughout the season, the men’s team improved a lot. The leadership pushed them to not give up. We have increased in strength every year. Progress hasn’t been easy, but we’re getting there,” Bower said.

This weekend, seven swimmers who have met the qualifying times along with two divers will participate in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships in Sewell, N.J., for their final meet of the season.

As for next season, the Hoyas will lose 10 seniors. The women’s team looks to steadily improve although it will have no seniors to lead the way. Another issue for the future is the addition of Virginia Tech, a scholarship program, to the Big East Conference which concerns Georgetown’s swimming and diving program. In the event that this new team burdens the Hoyas, Bower said she hopes the old saying holds true: “whatever doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.”