Scrumptious Sundaes Are No Accident

Isn’t it a little fabricated that such a “happy accident,” like Serendipity 3, was purposely built in D.C.?

Following its two predecessors in New York and Las Vegas, Serendipity 3 opened up on M Street last May. The original restaurant welcomed customers for the first time in 1954 in the heart of New York City’s Little Italy, where it was the first restaurant to offer frozen hot chocolate.

When I first walked into the buzzing venue on Friday a little past 8 p.m., I was a little overwhelmed.  My date and I had made reservations, much to my relief as there was already a line forming outside the door. Once inside, I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the atmosphere. The decor looked me to be a mix of Ruby Tuesdays and classic New York from the 1950s; all the lights, furniture and decorations looked like they had been found at a high-end thrift store.

In addition to the overwhelming atmosphere, an equally eclectic mix of pop music blared from the stereos over the rambunctious chatter of all the customers. Even though we were seated in a fairly intimate booth, I felt like I had to shout to both my date  and the waiter, an overly-enthusiastic man who took our orders while crouching down to our eye level.

The menu itself is even a production, complete with oversized and obnoxious fonts. Serendipity 3’s culinary team tempts visitors with a wide choice of American cuisine, so there is something to satisfy every kind of craving and appetite, including a sweet tooth like mine.

Before I made the choice to order an egg-white omelet with avocado and crabmeat and my date picked his ahi tuna salad, we both scoped out the real reason we had come: sweet treats. The desserts are not to be missed. This is extremely important to note: If you visit Serendipity 3 and fail to order beyond an entree, you have failed in your mission as a customer.

Perhaps it was because I was looking forward to the dessert (in our case, a red-velvet sundae with white chocolate ice cream) that I had such low expectations for dinner, but I was pleasantly surprised by our main meal. Usually venues that primarily advertise their sweeter side tend to lack when it comes to the savory, but my omelet was grilled to perfection. And while I had been overwhelmed by the atmosphere at first,  and our waiter seemed genuinely concerned that my date’s tuna was seared to the perfect pink., it was — against all my expectations — a really nice time.

I was in a good enough mood by the time our dessert came out, but my mouth almost dropped when we were brought our sundae: I’ve never seen so much chocolate goodness condensed into one giant bowl. My only complaint was that, even between the two of us, we couldn’t put much of a dent in it. After our entrees, the $9 scoops weren’t exactly cheap, but the cost was worth being a little stuffed to enjoy a few bites.

Without appetizers or alcohol, we averaged about $20 each — doable, but on a college budget you may want to make it a once-in-a-while experience. I’m not ready to be a regular at this place; however, if you’re looking for an adventure away from the front gates, Serendipity 3 can offer you a stimulating getaway.