Sailing | Underclassmen Buoy Team

The Georgetown sailing team placed second at the Fall Conference Championship for double-handed sailing at the War Memorial Regatta in St. Mary’s City, Md., this weekend.

While the regatta does not affect next week’s national championship competitions, the team’s performance on the water did have scheduling implications for next season. At the race, sophomores Campbell D’Eliscu and Rebecca Fung, freshman William Logue and senior Albert Kraus comprised the fourth place A division team.

The second place B division team included freshman Sean Segerblom and junior Meaghan MacRae. Georgetown Head Coach Michael Callahan used this regatta as an opportunity to rest many of his key upperclassman sailors, as well as to provide his younger sailors with an opportunity to gain more experience.

“We rested some of our older, more experienced sailors this weekend, because they’ve got a couple of weekends of travel coming up,” Callahan said. “It just shows the depth of our team, how good we are and how good we can be.”

Georgetown was one away from tying with first place team, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Despite the departure of many key seniors and the influx of walk-ons, it seems that the team has found talent to which it can anchor itself.

Callahan said he is optimistic that the newcomers will be able to contend for a national title in the upcoming seasons.

“We’re going to get to go to the higher-level events and hopefully have more opportunities for kids on our team to sail,” Callahan said.

As for this season, a national title is within reach for Georgetown. The team will be venturing to Texas A&M-Galveston to contend for a single-handed individual national championship. Those sailing include juniors Greg Martinez and Jack Marshall, junior Lola Bushnell and sophomore Haddon Hughes.

“Greg and Haddon have both won this regatta before,” Coach Callahan said, adding that there would be, “lots of returning champions [and] lots of kids that were at the Olympics this summer.”

More often than not, collegiate teams have an abundance of boats and several sailing locations. Georgetown does not have this luxury, making it that much more difficult to prepare for what will be one of the toughest regattas of the year.

“We’re just trying to do our best to get ready for it,” Callahan said.

The College of Charleston, Stanford and Yale look to be the most competitive teams sailing next weekend. Yale has a returning champion racing. The talent of Georgetown’s opponents, however, has not deterred Callahan’s confidence as he believes the Hoyas are even keel with the elite competition.

“We have a great chance of winning,” he said.  “A lot depends on the conditions.”

The Hoyas will be relying on the experience of their veteran sailors combined, with the leadership of Coach Callahan to propel the team to yet another national championship title.