SAILING | Teams Shine Against Nation’s Best

GUHOYAS
The coed sailing team finished eighth out of 18 teams at the Atlantic Coast Championships.

The Georgetown coed sailing team sent four crews to the Atlantic Coast Championships in New York City, while the women headed to Connecticut College in New London, Conn. for the Women’s Atlantic Coast Championships. The coed team finished eighth out of 18 teams and the women’s team finished 10th out of 18 teams.

Both races featured freezing weather and changing winds

The Atlantic Coast Championships at SUNY Maritime featured a constantly-changing arctic breeze which teased the races in both divisions.

The Hoyas were in the top five of the race in the A division and propelled nicely through the shifting breeze. However, the Hoyas fell to eighth after a score of 99 in the B division, knocking them out of a chance to make the podium.

“We went with a younger and different lineup than usual but I was proud of [sophomore] Will Logue and [freshman] Caroline Teare for strong performances in the A division,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said.

The crews finished just two points behind Brown and defeated Navy and George Washington. Dartmouth won the regatta with a score of 146.

“New England teams always have an advantage here with much more racing experience than us but we will catch up to them in spring with much hard work,” Callahan said.

The Hoyas look to improve from the regatta as they head into winter training in hopes of defeating many of these crews when spring rolls around.

“The goal is to always win your conference and we did that at the race which makes me proud,” Callahan said.

The Georgetown women had a major race this past weekend as they traveled to Connecticut College for the Women’s Atlantic Coast Championship. This regatta welcomed the top 18 women’s teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference. The breeze ranged from 8-12 knots, which was windier than usual for the women. The women battled through the harsh conditions, placing 10th out of 18 crews in the Atlantic Coast with a combined score 152.

“The girls did fine finishing top two in their conference and this was a good progress report for us as we head into spring looking to improve,” Callahan said.

The women found themselves in the top 10 in the A division with a score of 69, positioning themselves in seventh place. However, they could not hold this consistency in the B division with a score of 83 equating to an overall 10th place score of 152. The winner of the event was Yale University with a score of 69 placing themselves far ahead of the competition.

“Strong performances by [senior] Rose [Edwards] and [freshman] Marley Mais was very promising as I am excited to see their development,” Callahan said.

The women now head indoors until January, as they train purely with the strength and conditioning team.

The fall season now is in the books for the Hoyas, a season which included a great year of ups and downs. The Hoyas won several regattas and finished in the top three nationally.

“This fall definitely leaves us wanting more as a team but overall I’m happy with the fall and we definitely have some room for improvement this spring,” Callahan said.

They seek to make the necessary gains this winter to defend their national title in the spring at the National Championships.

“I am very happy with the team especially [freshman] Carly Broussard, Marly Mais and Caroline Teare, who had great races for us this fall and I am also thrilled to return our two All-Americans who return from their study abroad programs this winter,” Callahan said.