SAILING | Hoyas Earn Top-10 Finishes in 2 Regattas

The Georgetown sailing team competed in two regattas on Saturday, March 16, earning a top-ten finish in both. In the Graham Hall Interconference Regatta, hosted by Navy, the coed team placed third behind Yale University and the College of Charleston. Georgetown also finished seventh, one point behind Cornell, in the St. Mary’s Women’s Interconference Regatta, hosted by St. Mary’s.

In the coed Graham Hall Regatta, Georgetown looked strong throughout the round robin stage with a record of 12-3. A group of upperclassmen led the way for the Blue and Gray. Senior Andy Reiter, junior Sean Segerblom, senior Noah Kelleher and junior William Logue served as the team’s skippers in the race. Both Charleston and Georgetown finished with the same record, leading to a head-to-head tiebreaker sailoff. The Hoyas lost, settling for third in the sixteen-team field.

The conditions were difficult as a lot of unpredictable wind shifts for Georgetown caused them to struggle in this contest for second place, according to Head Coach Michael Callahan.

“It was not really that fair,” Callahan said.

This stroke of bad luck, however, did not sully the weekend for the Hoyas.

“The important part for us was beating competition in our conference where we did well. We were the top conference team,” Callahan said.

GUHOYAS | The Georgetown coed team placed third in the Graham Hall Interconference Regatta behind Yale and the College of Charleston on March 16.

The Georgetown women’s team was also pleased with their weekend, especially considering the struggles of last season in which they finished outside of the top-25 for the first time in several years.

The race took place on the St. Mary’s River where Georgetown compiled 227 points in the 14 races in an eighteen team field.

Callahan attributes part of the reason for an uncharacteristic season to the absence of senior Haddon Hughes. Securing a finish in the top-ten bodes well for the Hoyas as Hughes returns to the lineup for the rest of the year.

“Our best sailor, Haddon Hughes, was doing an Olympic campaign, and so she is now back in school which has been helpful for us,” he said.

Hughes led the A Division for the Hoyas with freshman Annabelle Ayer. This squad totaled 152 points for Georgetown.

The coed team has already clinched the conference playoffs, so the top team will be resting this weekend as the younger sailors gain valuable experience in their stead.

The women’s team is trending upward with an increase in their teamwork, according to Callahan.

“They are seeing a general trendline upward in a lot of cooperation amongst the girls working with each other to get better,” he said.