OWN IT Keynote Interview Abby Wambach Charged With DUII

The OWN IT board will maintain its speaking invitation to retired American soccer star and 2016 OWN IT Summit keynote interview Abby Wambach after she was charged with driving under the influence of intoxicants early Sunday morning in Portland, Ore.

Wambach, who holds two Olympic gold medals and a 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup championship, is scheduled to speak April 9 at the third annual OWN IT Summit, a student-led initiative that aims to connect students with female leaders in various professional fields.

“We look forward to celebrating her accomplished career at our OWN IT Summit on Saturday,” OWN IT Press Secretary Jenna Galper (COL ’17) wrote in a statement to The Hoya.

ESPN reported that Wambach was pulled over at 11:05 p.m. local time Saturday night by Portland police after driving through a red light. She failed a field sobriety test at the scene and a breath test at Portland’s Central Precinct and was charged with misdemeanor DUII.

“I take full responsibility for my actions.  This is all on me.  I promise that I will do whatever it takes to ensure that my horrible mistake is never repeated,” Wambach wrote in a statement on her Facebook page Sunday afternoon.  “I am so sorry to my family, friends, fans and those that look to follow a better example.”

No speakers at OWN IT are paid any speaker’s fees.

Update: Wambach’s agent confirmed that Wambach will speak at the OWN IT Summit as planned in a phone call to the OWN IT board Sunday afternoon.

This article will be updated as more information is available.