Over $200 Stolen From Vital Vittles

MICHELLE CASSIDY/THE HOYA Recently installed security cameras caught footage of a theft at Vital Vittles Thursday.

More than $200 in cash was stolen from a Vital Vittles office at 1:08 p.m. Thursday, according to The Corp’s Chief Executive Officer Alexander Pon (COL ’12).

Pon said that employees noticed a man entering the convenience store’s back office and fleeing with the cash. The suspect pushed a Vittles employee out of the way as he left the store. Employees followed the man to his car, which was parked outside the Leavey Center but were unable to apprehend him. The Department of Public Safety and the Metropolitan Police Department responded to the incident and are managing the ongoing investigation.

According to Pon, the money had been left unsecured for 30 seconds while a manager was on his way to count it.

“It was in that intermediate time the suspect entered our back office area,” he said.

A DPS public safety alert emailed to the campus community at 7:40 p.m. Thursday stated that $600 had been taken from the store, a number which Pon said was incorrect.

“I know for a fact … the number in the PSA is wrong,” he said.

The PSA identified the suspect as a light-skinned black male about 5-foot-8 in height and wearing blue jeans and a gray sweatshirt. His car was described as a black SUV.

The Corp Chief Operating Officer Brooke Heinichen (SFS ’12) did not believe that the man was affiliated with The Corp.

“It was not anyone that we recognized,” she said.

Pon added that the suspect did not appear to be of college age.

According to Heinichen, the man’s image was captured by the convenience store’s security cameras, which were installed in Corp locations in the past few weeks as part of routine safety improvements.

“We were able to review tapes and provide DPS with significantly more information than we would have been able to without the cameras,” she said. She added that the employees were also able to note the license plate on the suspect’s car.

Representatives of DPS could not be reached for comment at press time.