Not So Spooky Tunes For Your Halloweekend

Those of you who read this column may have noticed that my suggested weekly tunes usually follow a theme. This makes it easy for me to make quips and for you to (hopefully) know whether or not you will like a given song or artist. In related news, the sacred holiday of Halloween will soon be upon us — a time when young women roam the streets as barely-clad animals, nurses, secretaries and storybook characters and all young men invariably look like themselves. Not to mention that it is also a time when it is openly suggested that one eat candy for breakfast.

Yes, Halloween is a beautiful occasion, but it is not one of great musical inspiration. I considered forcing you to read about songs inspired by Halloween, beginning with Tracy Jordan’s “Werewolf Bar Mitzvah,” but luckily for you, I changed my mind. Instead, I’m just going to present you with the top three songs I’m rocking out to right now and attempt to connect them to Halloween in some weak way. Watch me try (this should be entertaining).

First on the chopping block is “This New Technology” by Midnight Juggernauts. Midnight Juggernauts kind of sound likes The Kills with Mick Jagger as its new lead singer. I know that’s a bit hard to conceptualize, but basically it’s a little bit dark with a lot of attitude. Plus, it’s not so alternative that it doesn’t have a melody. This song is perfect to listen to if you have to walk anywhere at all — strutting along with your headphones in and feeling like the coolest kid on the block even after you trip over the cobblestones on Prospect Street. Now for my weak Halloween connection: This song is about technology. Many costumes can involve technology. For example, you can dress up as the Facebook profile of your favorite fictional character.

Next we have “Sundays Best” by Casual. This track is a hip-hop throwback that kind of sounds like Ice Cube’s “It Was a Good Day,” except it is way less cheesy. Of course, this means that I am now playing it on endless loop. The whole song is for lack of a better word smooth. It is mellow and melodic enough for studying, but upbeat enough to play at social gatherings. It is the jack-of-all-trades of songs; listen and you won’t regret it. Also, this Halloween connection is slightly more natural. Many people go to church on Sunday. Be a priest for Halloween. Better yet, be a shaman.

Lastly, I bring you “Meet You at the Bus” by Dare Dukes. Dare Dukes kind of sounds like if Death Cab for Cutie were to stop moping, hang up the synthesizers and get a lady to sing with them every once in a while. So really it’s not that similar, but the lead singer’s voice is every bit as distinctive as that of Benjamin Gibbard. In other words, this song allows you to relive the time in your youth when you first started to listen to alternative music, except this music is more fun because it is more folksy than angsty. This Halloween connection is the most remote and implausible yet, so I apologize to you in advance. The song is about buses. Buses follow traffic regulations. Dress up as a traffic sign — “stop,” or “yield” or “moose X-ing.” People will be confusedly trying to interpret the meaning of your outfit all night, and that’s way more fun than having an obvious Halloween costume, right?

Whatever you choose to wear this weekend, go forth and conquer with this list of good music in tow. And, for goodness’ sake, don’t take any of my costume suggestions. I mean, last year I actually dressed up as a zoo. You don’t want my advice.

Kinne Chapin is a senior in the College. She can be reached at [email protected]. Face the Musicappears every other Friday in the guide.