SAILING | No. 1 GU Defends Potomac

SAILING | No. 1 GU Defends Potomac

The No. 1-ranked Hoyas took both first and second place at the Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta and the MAISA Match Racing Championships in Annapolis, Md., and Washington, D.C., last weekend. The Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta, hosted by Georgetown University on the Potomac, honors Tom Curtis (COL ’68) and served as a statement race for the Hoyas.

“Tom Curtis was a hall of fame and alum of Georgetown, and because of this, it was important for us to do well against some of the best teams in D.C.,” Coach Michael Callahan said.

Georgetown raced Navy, St. Mary’s College, George Washington and Old Dominion in winds ranging from 18 to 33mph. The Hoyas’ top boat, led by sophomore William Logue, freshman Caroline Teare and graduate student Massimo Mazzolini, propelled itself to a win with 25 points.

The second Georgetown boat also turned in impressive results, finishing second in the regatta with a total score of 35 points and placing 8 points ahead of St. Mary’s College  and just 9 off Georgetown’s top boat.

Coach Callahan praised the team for its gritty performance.

“I was really pleased with the varsity and freshman racing all around. Each crew fought hard through the wind gusts of over 30 miles per hour,”  Callahan said.

Logue and Teare helped lead the Georgetown A boat to the first place while senior Grace Hanrahan, senior Jack Marshall and senior Andie Dahl propelled the B boat to a second-place finish.

Georgetown’s strong overall showing in the Tom Curtis Regatta demonstrated their roster depth, boding well for the Hoyas for the remainder of their season.

The team also competed this past weekend at the MAISA Match Race Championships hosted by the Naval Academy. Georgetown again endured difficult racing conditions but overcame the adversity to defeat Hobart and William Smith in the semifinals. The team propelled itself to a championship victory over Navy, winning 2-0.

“It was exciting to watch a newer group come together and win from behind,” Callahan said.

Next weekend, the No. 6 women’s team returns to Annapolis to compete in the Navy Fall Women’s Intersectional.

“We want everyone to sail our best this weekend and if this happens, I hope to finish in the Top 10,” Callahan said.

The Navy Fall Women’s Interconference Regatta will take place Oct. 7.