Newsweek Ranks Colleges

In Newsweek Magazine’s newly released set of college rankings, Georgetown placed in the top 25 in four categories, under both conventional and unorthodox criteria.

In the rankings, redesigned this year by Newsweek, Georgetown ranked eighth in the list of best schools for future powerbrokers, 14th among urban schools, 16th among schools for brainiacs, 23rd in diversity and 24th in gay-friendliness.

“Its melting-pot hometown of Washington, D.C., might contribute to the school’s all-inclusive atmosphere,” Newsweek wrote.

Despite these rankings, the university was not on the list of the 25 most desirable schools, which included Ivy League schools, three military academies and numerous liberal arts colleges.

Georgetown’s many Rhodes Scholars influenced Newsweek’s decision to place the university as No. 16 for brainiacs. Alumni have also included 20 members of the House, six members of the Senate, a Fortune 100 CEO and two U.S. presidents.

To measure diversity, Newsweek said its system examined ethnicity, geographic origin, economic status, gender and sexual orientation. The magazine also noted geographic origin both within the United States and throughout the world.

Newsweek had previously posted rankings in 2007 and 2008, with Georgetown designated in 2008 as one of its “hottest big-city schools.” The magazine also recognized Georgetown’s status as the nation’s oldest Catholic university.”