New Exhibits Shine Across the District

ALEXANDER BROWN/THE HOYAOne of the great, but often untapped, resources of the Washington, D.C. area is the concentration of art museums that are close by and easily accessible to students. There are plenty of continuing exhibitions that you should be sure to check out, especially at the Hirshhorn Sculpture Gallery and the Freer and Sackler Galleries, as well as the museums listed below. If you find yourself with a spare summer day with nothing to do, check out these new or ongoing exhibits at some of the District’s finest artistic institutions.

National Gallery of Art

‘Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes, 1909-1929’ | Now to Sept. 2

This fascinating art and multimedia exhibit recognizes the multifaceted talents of Russian choreographer SergeDiaghilev and his dance company, the Ballets Russes.Diaghilev was known for his collaborations with Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse and Giorgio de Chirico.

‘Edvard Munch: A 150th Anniversary Tribute’ | May 19 to July 28

Edvard Munch, the renowned Norwegian artist behind such works as “The Scream” and “The Madonna,” is turning 150. Munch is known for his passionate abstraction and his ability to capture the alienation and anguish of the horror that can come from simply being human.

‘In the Tower: Kerry James Marshall’ | June 28 to Dec. 7

This exhibit features the work of Kerry James Marshall, one of most celebrated painters active today. His works reflect African-American history and how it reverberates in contemporary culture. This is his first solo exhibition in Washington, D.C., and it should not to be missed.

The Phillips Collection

Georges Braque and the Cubist Still Life | June 8 to Sept. 1

This exhibit takes the unique approach of framing an in-depth analysis of George Braque’s still life paintings within the political and historical framework of the 1930s. Braque is considered by many to be the pioneering figure in the cubist movement — one of the most influential abstract movements of the early 20th century — and his works range from intimate to expansive, from light-hearted and vibrant to dark and deeply personal. Braque’s influence has been felt throughout the development of modern art history, and this exhibit is a great opportunity to begin to get an understanding of the range of his creativity.

Ellsworth Kelly Panel Paintings 2004 to 2009 | June 22 to Sept. 22

While many not familiar with his work may view Ellsworth Kelly as a creator of simplistic and decidedlyunartistic paintings, this exhibit seeks to change those misperceptions. In honor of what would be his90th birthday, the exhibit presents multiple large-scale Kelly pieces across a wide range of hues that highlight the abstract artist’s mastery of the relationship between color, space, shape and human visual perception. If you consider yourself an art connoisseur — or even just want to learn more about the minimal abstractionist movement of the 20th century — this exhibit is not one to miss.

Corcoran Gallery

WAR/PHOTOGRAPHY | June 29 to Sept. 29

This unique exhibit takes a look at the experiences of civilians and soldiers during wartime through the lens of a photographer. Including photographs from over 28 nations and 200 photographers, the exhibit covers conflicts from the Mexican-American War of the 1840s to today’s modern conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Instead of being organized by time period, however, the exhibit is organized around different themes, including “Refugees” and “Rememberance,” which all come together to show how the understanding of armed conflict has developed over time.

National Portrait Gallery

One Life: Martin Luther King, Jr. | June 28 to June 1, 2014

Although everyone may know the story of Martin Luther King Jr., many have never had the opportunity to understand his history in context. This exhibit marks the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and King’s “I Have a Dream” speech, and follows King’s career and meteoric rise as the both leader of the civil rights movement and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. Incorporating historic photographs, memorabilia and paraphinaleia, this exhibit offers a fascinating look into the history of this iconic American historical figure.